This was going to be the first Whereigo cache in Santa Cruz, but Touchstone the Trailblazer beat me to it. Make sure you try his out too!
A whereigo cache is a new type of activity, where you can have interactive questions and virtual or real tasks along the way. Instead of going to coordinates, you go to a zone, which is a 2-dimensional area, where you then perform a task, or go to the next location. The technology is brand new, the development environment, the player, everything is in Beta format, so there are bugs, and you might have to be patient, AND its my first attempt.
But in an effort to familiarize cachers with whereigo, I'm making it part of this HPUW series. Anyone can do a whereigo cache, although to do it the preferred way requires either a Garmin Colorado or a PDA with mobile windows, AND GPS built in. Both devices are pretty new. However, since relatively few people will have the right tool for that, I'm going to explain how anyone can use the emulator and get started with whereigo caches, and even hide one if you want. Hopefully the technology will catch up and more of us will be able to go through the full experience.
Again, the preferred way is to go through the tour, like a multicache on site. But if you don't have a Windows PDA GPS, or a Garmin Colorado, here are the steps:
1. On your PC browse to whereigo.com. (I don't have a solution for MAC users, except to emulate a PC)
2. Download the free Whereigo Builder.
3. Download the cartridge for the whereigo cache. Save it in a convenient place where you can find it.
4. Start the Wherigo builder.
5. Click on the Tools menu, and select the emulator
6. Set the Folder where the cartridge is stored.
7. Open the cartridge that you downloaded.
8. Launch and play the whereigo game.
9. When you get to the final zone, study the map, record the coordinates of the final zone, and go find the cache.
Good luck! Have fun!
The final clue for the HPUW series is in the container, in the log. Container is a cammo'd tube. Use the clues in the correct order, and use them on the next and final cache in the series.
Here's the story: Kirby the bobcat is exploring the ranch. Help him identify the plants and animals at each location correctly. When you get to each location, answer the question. If you get the answer right, then the next zone will show up. If you get it wrong, you have to keep trying. The next zone won't appear until you get the question right. Get all the questions right, and your last location is where the cache is hidden. The accompanying whereigo cartridge is at: Kirbys tour of Wilder Ranch