How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Most walking on pavements and roads. Usual grovelling for cache (busy location) and a little climbing required if coffin requires inspection (not required for clues).
Few will be aware of a rather remarkable story set around Chapel Allerton.
Thanks for the sum total of the information here go to both Bob Adams, a well known local cacher and George Hallett, a former Church Warden of St Matthew’s Church Chapel Allerton. Without either of them, the story wouldn’t have been complete.
As reported in the "Yorkshire Post", in October 1901 constructors of the Allerton Park development discovered a stone coffin. The only complete remains were 2 human bones and a roman coin. At the site of the find a plaque was placed on a nearby wall – which although now illegible is remembered by Bob Adams to have said that the remains of a female were discovered and re-interred nearby in the grounds of what is now Webton Court and the coffin placed at the old St Matthew’s Church, later to be moved to the new church in 1935 on demolition of the old building. If anyone knows the plaque inscription exactly, the cache owner would be interested in knowing.
According to the 1999 Parish Magazine article written by George Hallett, the coin was given to a passer-by at the time the coffin was opened. This information came from a relative of the passer-by who was still living in Chapel Allerton at the time the article was written. The bronze coin or ‘As’, was from the period 350-353AD – the time of the usurper Magnentius. Why was such a coin placed in the coffin? – well one coin issued by Magnentius has a Christian symbol on the reverse of the coin – could it be possible that it was a Christian burial? More likely it was a pagan burial with a low denomination coin being placed in the mouth of the deceased to provide the fare to pay Charon as they were ferried across the River Styx into the underworld. This may help us understand why the coin was given away, perhaps by a superstitious worker.
The final cache location is N53 49.ABC W001 31.DEF - it's within half a mile of the initial location.
The initial location is that of the plaque (see linked photo). A nearby house won a Leeds Architecture Award in the year abcd where c = F.
The 1st interim location is Webton Court, the location of the grave (see linked photo) - the Inscription reads “Here are interred the remains discovered in the stone coffin lying near this spot RIP”. The grave is to the front of the house (you are looking at the rear through the gate) and is about 3 metres inside a gigantic rhododendron bush. Sadly the grave is now on what is high security private property and it is very difficult to visit. There is a 3 letter inscription on the wall near the gate. If a=1, b=2 etc, then the value of the middle letter of the inscription minus 4 = D & E. If anyone knows why such an inscription is here, the cache owner would be interested in knowing.
The 2nd interim location is the coffin at St Matthew’s Church (see linked photo). There is a metal bench nearby - subtract 39 from the number of horizontal strips = C. Another nearby plaque gives the date the clock was installed abcd where d = A & B.
[clock clue] sbe ivfhnyyl punyyratrq frira
[final] oruvaq jnyy
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum