Outeniqua Hike - Cradock Peak (1582 meters ASL)
This cache is a traditional cache which contains stuff for boys. The cache itself is a small container hidden underneath a building at the corner. The cache is to the right when you face the Karoo on top of the peak. It is also the furthest building. Make sure the cache is well hidden. Please trade only small items. The cache container is a Tupperware container which locks on all four sides. The forestry department is describing this hike as a hike of “very high exertion” with a distance of 19 km and as an 8 hrs hike.
The views are fantastic and it is breath taking. You do not need to make use of any climbing equipment. Some easy rock climbing is needed at one specific area close to the top. Please be careful at this point. Make sure that you are stable before moving to the next rock. Leave you backpack at the bottom if you are too tired. The cache is placed for the nature lovers that do love hikes and views in a safe location which is near the concrete jungle named George. Please use these caches and additional waypoints as beacons to determine your travelling time.
We placed the cache in such a way that it is easy to find. Sit down and relax for a while and admire the view. From here you have a clear and unobstructed view of the Outeniqua mountain range. You also have a view of the Karoo. Please use your binoculars – you will be amazed what you can see from this point. If you are standing in town you will hardly recognize this peak – most people do not even take notice of this peak. But Cradock is higher than the George Peak. Please stay clear of the ledge on the left hand side. You do not need to go there – you have to go across the rocks on the right hand side. There is a yellow marker marking the point where you have to go up. The ledge on the left has a sheer drop – not good if you are tired. Take it slow, use one hand or foot at a time. Test the hold before moving the other hand or foot. The normal cacher should be able do this without any problem.
It will be extremely difficult to do the George and Cradock peak on the same day. If you are in a group you will have to split in two groups to get to both of them. Please enjoy this hike – it will stay with you for the rest of your life. The beauty is too difficult to forget.
- Please do not drop coins and trackables at these caches. It could be in the cache for many months/years and most owners will not like this, they are called travellers and not campers.
- As usual you need to take care when lifting stones.
- Refer to “ http://www.samdt.co.za/links.htm” for hints on equipment and preparations.
- Please cover cache well. This cache will not receive many visits.
- My cell number - 081 460 4469, Louise - 061 494 7530.
- If you want to make my day please SMS. I will appreciate this. After all you have done well and you need to tell someone. If you want to scream or curse or jump up and down or all three feel free to do so – please only via SMS.
- Please take a photo of yourself or the team on top of this peak. I was alone during this hike but I placed the camera on top of the beacon and I took the photo on timer mode.
- Platinum: iPajero 18/11/2008
- Gold: Team Schutte 25/07/2010
- Silver: Team Skapies 24/11/2012
- Bronze: Team ED&ALLY
Risk and Hazards (1 is low, 3 is average, 5 is extreme):
- Snow - 5
- Mist - 4
- Heights and falls: 4 (No dangerous cliffs or ledges, except one with extreme consequences, leave backpack behind, take it slow)
- Lightening - 5 (You are the highest point at several points)
- Ankle and Knee Twists - 4
- Slipping - 4 (Consequence is extreme, one ledge could cause death, if not careful, no equipment needed, take it slow, one hand at a time))
- Strong winds - 4
- Wet weather - 4
- Snakes - 3
- Spiders - 2
- Muggles and muggers- 1
- Night Time - 4 (can get down with light, stick, back tracking, otherwise not possible)
- Roads - 1
- Children - 4 (Above 16 of average fitness should be ok)
- Fitness & Health - 4 (above fitness needed or else determination)
- Distance - 4 (more than 8 hours could be needed)
- Water from river - 3 (No settlement areas above river, no water at or near top, carry enough)
- Emergency - 4 (Cell Phone Reception and use cache owner as backup)