Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Plastic box with logbook, pencil and goodies.
...We made the mountains shake with laughter as we played
Hiding in our corner of the world
Then we did the demon dance and rushed to nevermore
Threw away the key and locked the door
Oh they say that its over, yeah
And it just had to be
Yes they say that its over
Were lost children of the sea...
It was established in the 18th century at the coast of the river Silinupe. Bigaunciems is the first fishermen village that is met driving from Riga. The story goes that in ancient times one man with three sons escaped from their cruel master across the sea came from an Estonian village, but one inattentive clerk from the rural municipality wrote the letter “B” before the name, so the name “Bigaunciems” was created [in Latvian the word without the letter “B” means Estonian village].
In the 19th century Bigaunciems started to develop as a place for rest, and several summer cottages were built. In 1824 the Riga traffic of coaches was opened – in the evening of Friday they arrived to Bigaunciems, but in the evening of Sunday they went back to Riga.
Due to the special landscape of this fishermen’s villages several famous Latvian films were shot here – “Zvejnieka dels” [Son of the Fishermen], “Naves ena” [In the shadow of the Death], “Svešiniece ciema“ [Stranger in the village].
Several years ago a path of the Kupskalns National Park was opened in Bigaunciems, which led from the Talsi road directly to the beach and the old breakwater.
Peoples who lives there are telling that place (see picture) was made to be a port, but because of bad planing the new made port was destroyed by water stream.
Hope you enjoy this beautiful place and sea side.