WHO is in the woods at night.
Size:  (not chosen)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
My second night cache in the Pittsfield State Forest. CAN NOT BE FOUND WITHOUT FIRST FINDING "A Walk in the Dark" GC1EVFC
By taking the FINAL coordinates (that you got mathmatically, not by marking your own) for "A Walk in the Dark" and adjusting them by
N –0.171 W -0.717
you will find the starting location where you will find a tree that is marked with fire tacks.
Count the tacks and apply the offset to the original coords to get the new set of coords. Go to the new set of cords and look around for a new group of fire tacks. Count tacks and apply the appropriate offset to the new coords to get yet another set of new coords. Repeat until you find the final.
- 1 tack next to 2 tacks looks like .:
- 2 tacks next to 1 tack looks like :.
- 1 tack = N –0.119 W +0.108
- 2 tacks = N +0.053 W -0.092
- 3 tacks = N –0.048 W -0.057
- 4 tacks = N –0.102 W +0.065
- 5 tacks = N –0.052 W -0.083
- 1 tack next to 1 tack = N +0.193 W +0.135
- 1 tack next to 2 tacks = N –0.074 W -0.032
- 2 tacks next to 1 tack = N –0.026 W -0.048
- 2 tacks next to 2 tacks = N +0.118 W +0.126
- 2 tacks next to 3 tacks = N +0.067 W +0.038
- 3 tacks next to 1 tack = N –0.188 W -0.013
- 3 tacks next to 2 tacks = N –0.043 W +0.064
- 3 tacks next to 3 tacks = N +0.045 W -0.093
Because this area has steep hills, a boney active riverbed, and is a large forest which is (of course) full of both day and night animals, it is recommended (as with any night cache) that you search for this cache with a partner.
Note that this cache was placed for the 2nd Annual Western Mass. Geocachers Picnic which was put on by members of the Western Massachusetts Geocachers for the enjoyment of any who wished to attend.
Wastern Massachusetts Geocachers Website
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum