||Car parking at
S 35° 36.455 E 173° 32.120
About the Geocache
Take a little stroll to enjoy some more of the impressive kauris in Waipoua.
Te Matua Ngahere is a giant kauri tree, whose name means "Father of the Forest".
Although not as massive or tall as its neighbour Tane Mahuta, Te Matua Ngahere is much stouter, with a girth (circumference) over 16 metres (52.5 feet), inferring an older age than Tane (c.2000+yrs).
The tree is a remnant of the ancient rain forest that once grew on the North Auckland Peninsula.
Te Matua Ngahere's measurements are as follows:
Don't miss the waypointed Four Sisters en route too.
Those fancying more of a tramp may also wish to go and see (touch! hug!) the seventh biggest kauri whilst here.
Whilst all trees and co-ordinates are wheelchair accessible, retrieval from the actual hide location may prove somewhat challenging.
One of a triad of Waipoua FaberOptimé geocaches.
See the nearby God of the Forest (GC1G3E2) and Look Out Waipoua! (GC1G3AW) geocaches.
Please ensure that you respect the plants and animals here at all times.
This area is threatened by kauri dieback, so please:
- Make sure shoes, tyres and equipment are clean of dirt before and after visiting kauri forest.
- Clean shoes and any other equipment that comes into contact with soil after every visit, especially if moving between bush areas.
- Keep to defined tracks at all times. Any movement of soil around the roots of a tree has the potential to spread the disease.
- Dogs can inadvertently spread the disease if they disturb the soil around the trees and are not permitted in Waipoua Forest.
For more information about kauri dieback, please see this page: Kauri dieback: how you can help.
About the Cache
A 2l Sistema container with green camo.
Some stealth may be required at GZ due to spot's public popularity.
The boardwalk is there to protect the fragile roots of these awesome trees, whose health is threatened by even the lightest foot fall. STAY ON THE BOARDWALK/PATH.
Please ensure that you replace carefully so as it remains not obvious!
Contents at Placement
- Stash note, log book, pencil, sharpener and silica gel
- Launch of Crusta Niveum TB
- 2x badges
- Malaysia keyring
- CITO Bag-it
- Smiley face
Geocaches need maintenance from time to time (as do we all?!).
If this one looks in need (new log book/container maintenance/other), please let us know.