Traditional Geocache

Le palle de cannone (RBT #3)

A cache by Roman Brothers Team (RBT) Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 10/20/2008
In Lazio, Italy
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

The entrance to the beautiful park of Villa Pamphilj

ITALIANO
Villa Doria Pamphilj è il più grande dei parchi romani e una delle "ville" meglio conservate; come molti altri parchi cittadini trae origine dalla tenuta di campagna di una nobile famiglia romana. È, inoltre, sede di rappresentanza del Governo italiano.
Nel 1849 la villa fu teatro di una delle più cruente battaglie per la difesa della "Repubblica Romana": le truppe francesi di Napoleone III, comandate dal generale Oudinot, il 2 giugno occuparono villa Corsini, che sorgeva ove ora c’è l’arco dei quattro venti, all’interno del cancello principale della villa in cima alla salita. Nel corso dei combattimenti che seguirono la villa fu persa e riconquistata varie volte dalle due parti fino alla sua caduta definitiva nelle mani dei Francesi (Vedi tavola di Leone Paladini: “Veduta della Villa Giraud detta il Vascello e della Villa Corsini detta il Casino dei Quattro Venti”, Roma, 3 giugno 1849).

Nel punto dove c’è la cache, Garibaldi in persona ha comandato i suoi soldati all’assalto della villa che rappresentava un punto strategico per le artiglierie. (Vedi tavola di P. Barabino - Armanino: Assalto al Casino dei quattro venti. Roma, 3 giugno 1849).
Nel 1856, sei anni dopo la fine dei combattimenti, la Villa Corsini venne acquistata dal Principe Filippo Andrea V Pamphilj, e annessa alla confinante Villa Pamphilj, venendo a costituire una unica grande villa, la attuale Villa Doria Pamphili.
Il Pamphilj ritenne di dotare la villa di un ingresso adeguato, nuovo e sontuoso, ubicato dove era l’ingresso di Villa Corsini, e cioè dove si trova l’ingresso attuale.
Per desiderio del Principe, il nuovo ingresso doveva avere “uno spaldo a giardino e bosco, ed una barriera con casina pel portiere, e scoperto anteriore per le vetture”.
Venne incaricato del lavoro l’architetto Andrea Busiri Vici.
Come narra Carla Benocci (“Villa Doria Pampilj”, Municipio Roma XVI, 2005, p. 194) la barriera d’ingresso venne “ .. parzialmente realizzata nel 1861 e completata due anni dopo, inglobando le palle di cannone dei combattimenti del 1849 ed ispirandosi alla scogliera rustica del basamento del vicino Vascello ..”
Quindi le palle di cannone visibili alla sinistra del cancello di entrata, inglobate nel travertino bianco, sono “VERE”, nel senso che sono palle effettivamente sparate nei combattimenti del ’49, ma raccolte sul campo di battaglia, e inserite nella costruzione della barriera realizzata da Busiri Vici nel 1861 – 1863.
E dobbiamo aggiungere che a Busiri Vici non mancava certo il materiale, cioè non mancavano le palle autentiche del ‘49, dato che erano copiosamente disseminate sul campo di battaglia.
Infatti, secondo quanto dice il Generale Vaillant, i francesi spararono in tutto 9800 cannonate a palla piena (oltre alle bombe e alle granate che scoppiavano in aria o toccando il suolo), mentre (sempre secondo Vaillant) gli italiani ne spararono circa il triplo; e, come è noto, la maggior parte delle cannonate italiane furono sparate proprio contro villa Corsini.
Ulteriori notizie sulla battaglia sono visibili nella tavola illustrativa, realizzata dal Comitato Gianicolo, posta sulla destra del cancello di entrata.

ENGLISH
Villa Doria Pamphili is the largest park and one of best preserved Roman "villas"; like many other city parks it results from the campaign estate of a noble Roman family. It is also one of the headquarters of the Italian government.
In 1849 the villa was the scene of one of the most bloody battles for the defense of the Roman Republic: the French troops of Napoleon III, commanded by General Oudinot, on June 2nd occupied Villa Corsini, which stood where there is now The Arco dei quattro venti, inside the main gate of the villa at the top of the hill.
During the fighting that followed the house was lost and regained several times by both parties until it eventually fell into the hands of the French. (See picture by Leone Paladini:
“Veduta della Villa Giraud detta il Vascello e della Villa Corsini detta il Casino dei Quattro Venti”, Roma, 3 giugno 1849 )

At the point where the cache is, Garibaldi personally ordered his soldiers all'assalto of the villa, that was a strategic point for artillery. (See picture by: P. Barabino – Armanini. Assault at Casino of the four winds. Rome, 3 June 1849).
In 1856, six years after the fighting, Villa Corsini was bought by Prince Filippo Andrea V Pamphilj, and annexed the neighbouring Villa Pamphili, coming to form a single large villa, the current Villa Doria Pamphili.
The Pamphilj thought to provide the villa of an appropriate entrance, new and sumptuous, to be located where the entrance of Villa Corsini was, and that is where the actual entrance is. For desire of the Prince, the new entrance would have "a garden and woods, and a barrier with a casino for the guardian and a place for the carriages.
Architect Andrea Busiri Vici was in charge of the work. The entrance was ".. partially realized in 1861 and completed two years later, incorporating the balls of gun battles in 1849 and similar to the cliff of rustic basement of the nearby Vascello villa".
Then the cannon balls visible to the left of the entry gate, incorporated in white travertine, are "REAL" in the sense that that balls were actually fired in the fighting of '49, but collected on the battlefield, and included in the construction of the barrier by Busiri Vici from 1861 to 1863.
According to the time chronicles the French fired in 9800 full cannon balls (in addition to bombs and grenades that burst in the air or touching the ground), and the Italians fired about three times so.
The story of the battle is visible in the table, realized by Comitato Gianicolo, located on the right of the entrance gate.

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Zntargvp. Qb abg ragre.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)

 

Find...

734 Logged Visits

Found it 710     Didn't find it 11     Write note 5     Temporarily Disable Listing 1     Enable Listing 1     Publish Listing 1     Owner Maintenance 5     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 50 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 3/2/2017 2:26:47 PM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (10:26 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum