A Brief History of Hancock
The first European settlers in the area that was to become Hancock came in the 1730’s. As an outpost on the frontier edge of Maryland, the area known as "Tonoloway Settlement" was subject to the ravages of Indian raids. At the height of these raids, Maryland Provincial Governor Horatio Sharpe ordered a series of forts to be built along the Potomac. In 1755, Lt. Thomas Stoddert, with a crew of 15-20, was sent out to build a stockade fort in the "Tonoloways" (now Hancock).
By the time of the Revolutionary War, the settlement boasted some twenty odd houses. Many names have been associated with the general area — Tonoloway Settlement, Northbend, and William's Town among them. It is generally held that the name Hancock derived from Edward Joseph Hancock Jr., who operated a ferry here prior to his enlistment in the 8th Pennsylvania regiment.
A growth spurt came with the construction of the C&O Canal National Historical Park, which ran from Georgetown in Washington D.C. to Cumberland, MD. It reached Hancock in 1839. Hancock boasted two business districts, one on Main Street and the other on Water Street. Wharves extended from the various warehouses to take trade directly to or from the canal boats.
As the National Pike was extended westward (circa 1818), the town boomed as stagecoach inns, liveries, and blacksmith shops dotted the Main Street. The Western Maryland Railroad completed its line through Hancock in 1905, bringing further benefits to the town and a more rapid growth in the economy. It was about this time, too, that the Woodmont Rod and Gun Club began a tradition of hosting presidents and other celebrities seeking the unspoiled wilderness of the Hancock area.
Today, Hancock continues its long tradition as a center for hosting travelers and as a place to escape from a fast paced world. Visitors are encouraged to come and see all that Hancock has to offer.
The CACHE is located in Joseph Hancock Jr. Park, along West Main Street. Come, bring a picnic, and spend some time enjoying the area. There is nearby parking and also easy access to/from the Western Maryland Rail Trail (WMRT) which run through the heart of Hancock alongside the C&O Canal.
Hancock Thanks You for Visiting
Thanks to WVKiwi for helping with this hide!
Thanks to the Maryland Geocaching Society for assisting with this project!