In the late 19th century and the first half of the 20th century, roadhouses were integral stops in the travel plans of many who were moving about the territory whether delivering mail, supplies, mining, logging, or trapping.
Roadhouses were often spaced at a day’s pace along a waterway, railroad, or overland trail system. Many died out as trails were upgraded to roads, as the gold rush died, as dogsleds were replaced by mechanical means of transportation such as skidoos and cars. Other roadhouses remain today, changing with the times and still serving up Alaskan hospitality – offering a place to catch a bite to eat and to rest.
Talkeetna Roadhouse was built by the brothers Frank and Ed Lee as a cabin and barn and as a supply stop for goods coming up the Susitna River. Near the Alaska Railroad line from Seward to Fairbanks, it began serving meals around 1918 and became an official roadhouse in the mid 1940’s.
A more detailed history of the roadhouse and its owners can be found by “Googling” the Talkeetna Roadhouse website. A short history is provided on the Wikipedia site – linked here.
A special thanks to Trisha Costello, the current owner, who has given permission for placement of the cache.