It's a fairly obvious feature nearly opposite what was the Salesian Sisters Sacred Heart Convent. Although not hidden, we think it's rather strange. Suggestions so far include a ventilation shaft for:
- a modernised secret passage from the Sacred Heart to Sizergh Castle - easy access for the nuns to reach the castle
- a hidden nuclear command bunker from the Cold War
- extra underground parking for the castle - they foresee lots more visitors!
- an 'oubliette' or prison for motorists caught speeding!
- a badger tunnel under the road (very big badgers!)
- ............? What do you think?
Nearest parking is 140m toward the roundabout, turn onto the minor road to Sizergh Castle and park on the verge (after the end of the Clearway signs!). A parking area is just a bit further up this road. There is a pavement along the dual-carriageway making it a safe (if noisy) place to walk to the cache.
The Sacred Heart Convent, across the road, was opened on 10 February 1946 as the Brettargh Holt Maternity Home, and was staffed by Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mary. Accommodation was provided for up to 35 un-wed mothers and babies. Many came from Newcastle and the NE and most babies were sent for adoption. It closed in 1968 and is now a conference and retreat centre. In 2014 it has been sold and is becoming a posh hotel.