Texas Spirit Quest #10 Mnt. Olive Cemetery
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
10th in the
Texas Spirit Quest
The Texas Spirit Quest is a series of Caches placed by many individuals, near cemeteries and historic sites in hopes of paying respect to the many pioneer ancestors that have ‘walked’ before us.
There are hundreds of cemeteries in the rural communities across Texas. This series will introduce you to many of them. The cache pages will provide a virtual history tour of the cemeteries, tombstones and local lore.
This Cemetery is located on the north side of Big Spring along the west side of N. Benton St. (Hwy 350). A little ways north of Interstate 20.
Congrats to Chanman101 for First to Find.
Big Spring is located at the crossroads of U.S. Highway 87 and Interstate 20; its population of 25,233 (2000 census) makes it the largest city between Midland to the west, Abilene to the east, Lubbock to the north, and San Angelo to the south. Big Spring was established as the county seat of Howard County in 1882 and is also the largest city in that county.
In earlier days, the towns name was Big Springs. It was later changed to Big Spring, dropping the 's'.
Origin of the name "Big Spring"
The "big springs", was of major importance to life in the area. In the early 1840s, it was the center of territorial disputes between different Indians in the area.(G. Brune, 'Springs of Texas', 1981).
Early military scouting reports and pioneer accounts describe the water as hot, clear, and dependable; the hot spring pool was approximately 15' deep, with the overflow going only a short distance down the draw before it sank beneath the surface.
Captain Randolph B. Marcy's expedition was the first expedition to map the area in 1849. Captian Marcy marked the springs as a campsite on the Overland Trail. The site began to collect inhabitants and by the late 1870s, a settlement had sprung up to support buffalo hunters that frequented the area. The original settlement consisted largely of hide huts and saloons.
Eventually, the campsite was moved several miles to the north, along the Sulpur Draw, to its present location, where the railroad was layed out and built. Ranching quickly became a major industry in the area; early ranchers included F.G. Oxsheer, C.C. Slaughter, and B.F. Wolcott..
One notable rancher was Joseph Heneage Finch, the Seventh Earl of Aylesford. Finch purchased 37,000 acres of ranch land in the area in 1883 and is credited with building Big Spring's first permanent structure, a butcher shop.
Mount Olive Cemetery The Masonic Lodge (1884) and the Independent Order of Oddfellows (1897) created the cemetery north of Big Spring. Located .2 of a mile off I-20 on the Snyder Highway, the cemetery covers 45 acres. Approx. 8850 people have been buried there (as of the last
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum