Calgary's Cache and Release Winter 2009 - CCARW09
Saturday, 14 March 2009
Size:  (not chosen)
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Welcome to Calgary’s third Cache and Release (CAR for short) event! CAR was inspired by Canada's Capital Cacher's very successful Go and Get 'em ( GAGE ) series. The event consists of a 24 hour cache-finding marathon culminating with a gathering at a place at the posted additional coordinates for refueling, story-telling and prize distribution.
There are three stages to the CAR event: 1) the hides, 2) the hunt and 3) the gathering.
Phase 1: The Hides
Hide one or more caches between now and Monday March 9th. The deadline is to ensure that Cache Effect has sufficient time to review and publish all the hides for the event. However, hiders are encouraged to place their caches for the event earlier than that to work out any issues that may arise.
Every cache submitted for CAR should include the following:
1) CCARW09 at the end of the title (e.g. White Out Winter Cache - CCARW09) to facilitate searches by keyword.
2) a note to the reviewer stating that it is placed for the CAR event and should be published the evening of Thursday March 12th.
3) A mention at the top of the cache page that the cache is for the CAR event, and should not be sought out until after 5:30 pm on March 13th and any logs before that should be deleted. CCARW09 caches are published the evening before to give everyone chance to look at the cache listings, solve puzzles and devise their battle plans before the hunt begins.
Rules about hides placed for CAR:
- all hides must be winter-friendly (i.e. not in danger of being buried in snow or frozen in ice)
- micro-caches are permitted, but they must thoughtful (i.e. no micros in spruce trees)
- maximum one micro cache hidden per geocaching account
- puzzle and multi-caches are allowed, but keep them short and sweet (in other words, solvable and findable within 30-45 minutes)
- all hides must be hidden within 40 km of the posted coordinates
- hide caches you would enjoy finding yourself. Better yet, hide with intent on winning a prize
- all hides must be made to remain permanent following the event for everyone to find at their leisure
Phase 2: The Hunt
At 5:30 pm on Friday March 13th, all CAR caches become fair game and the hunt begins. Feel free to find as many or as few caches as you can and want. During the hunt, please document the time of find in the logbook. This makes things more interesting by informing subsequent finders how close they are on your tail. Note: You are welcome to find any cache in Calgary during the event, but only caches with CCARW09 in the title count towards your CAR finds total.
Phase 3: The Gathering
At 5:30pm on Saturday March 14th, following a hectic (or leisurely) 24 hour marathon of caching, we will gather for a bite and a beverage and share stories about the happenings of the past 24 hours. The gathering will be held at Nick's. See additional waypoints for event coordinates. Reservations are made for Calgary Area Cachers or just ask for Kenny. As with all events, please post a 'Will Attend' note with a mention of the number of people accompanying you if you intend to join us at the restaurant. The place is kid-friendly, so be sure to bring your side-kicks too!
Credit should be given for accomplishments achieved during the event. The categories are (but not limited to):
- Most hides
- Cacher with most CCARW09 finds (in the event of a tie, tie-breaker goes to the cacher with most hides)
- Cacher with most DNFs
- Most FTFs
- Best/worst mishap (must recount story to the party)
- Cacher who travelled the furthest to attend the event
- Cache most found
- Best traditional cache
- Best multi-cache
- Best puzzle cache
- Cache with most DNFs
- Cache with best swag
- Best hide by a cacher with no previous hides
- Best cache prepared and hidden by a kid (some parental help is ok, but prize goes to kid)
- Best picture taken during CAR
- etc. (suggestions?)
Prizes for the first six categories will be awarded at the gathering, so you must be present if you want to claim your prize. All other categories will be tabulated or voted on following the event on the CAC Forum. Prizes for categories that require tabulating or voting will be distributed at the following monthly Pizza & Beer event. Donations for prizes are welcome. Please notify me if you can donate for the event.
You are welcome to log the event as 'Attended' if you have participated in at least one stage of CAR.
(No hints available.)