How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Quick park and grab. Road is paved but there is a lot of construction going on at the beginning as there is an extension to the bike path. Please obey all signs. No need to trespass to get to this cache. Looking for small hide-a-key.
Toward the end of a dead end road there is an old mine. The Tilly Foster Mine was an iron mine.
THE HISTORY (Thank you to Wikipedia for the background info): The Tilly Foster Mine was named after Tillingham Foster, who bought the land that the mine was on from George Beale. After Foster's death in 1842, the property passed through several hands before it came into the possession of Harvey Iron and Steel Company.
The mine opened in 1853 and employed large numbers of Irish and Italian immigrants. The jobs available at the mine played a large part in bringing immigrants to the town of Southeast. Workers were known by numbers rather than names, because the names of immigrants were considered too difficult to pronounce.
The mine reached its peak of production in the 1870s. It was 600 feet (180 meters) deep. There were 300 miners employed and they were producing 7,000 tons (14,000 pounds) of ore per month. The main minerals were magnetite and chondrodite. The iron ore was loaded up on a train to New York City.
Large quantities of Bessemer ore were shipped to Scranton, Pennsylvania, and used to make steel rails for the Lackawanna Steel Company.
From 1887 to 1889 the mine was made into an open pit, at the time the largest man-made pit. In 1895 there was a major collapse that killed 13 miners. After the collapse it was flooded by a reservoir nearby. It was used by soldiers in World War II to test their diving equipment.
zntargvp, ybbx sbe gur oybpx fgehpgher, Ab arrq gb tb bire gur envy.