The start of a short series along the Ashby Canal.
The Ashby Canal was completed in 1804 and ran north of Moira, North West Leicestershire to Marston on the Coventry Canal. Originally 30 miles long, the principal cargo carried was coal from local pits to Coventry, Oxford and London.
The Ashby Canal restoration has continued north from the Moira Furnace, and the canal now terminates at the Bath Yard Basin, immediately outside Conkers Waterside, passing through a new lock on its way from the Furnace. The canal was officially opened by the Chairman of Leicestershire County Council in November 2001.
As the cache is placed near to the canal, be careful with kids and non-swimming dogs.