Hello! Welcome to
the KIDDIE LITter box!
The KIDDIE LITter geocache series
has been voted the July 2009
Cache of the Month!
NOTE: CACHE NOT AT THE ABOVE COORDINATES!
Per geocaching.com guidelines, this cache is located within 2 miles of the above location.
All caches in the series which are located within parks have been registered with and/or placed in accordance with the guidelines of the governing body of that park. Some caches in this series are located on park or public property which is surrounded on most sides by private property. Be sure to avoid trespassing on private property when accessing them.
Preliminary Cache #9
This is a multi-stage series of puzzle caches, consisting of nine preliminary caches and a Final Cache ("The Final LITter Box"). Each of the ten caches is listed as a separate cache on www.geocaching.com. Links to all ten caches can be found at the bottom of this listing.
Each preliminary cache can be found independently. For each preliminary cache you find, you will earn access to a jigsaw puzzle piece. Those nine jigsaw pieces, when put together, form the final puzzle which, when solved, reveals the location of the Final Cache.
To earn jigsaw piece #9, follow the following steps:
- Answer the trivia question below. The theme of all the questions is “Children’s Literature”. (Hence the name of the cache!)
- Click this link to access the puzzle. To view each puzzle, you will need to know the password—which is the answer to the trivia question. (To open the puzzles, you will need Adobe Reader, which is already installed on nearly every computer in existence these days. But if you happen be one of the three people in the world to not have it yet, it can be obtained for free at www.adobe.com.)
|Downloading files from the www.keepandshare.com links shown is necessary to obtain details needed to find this geocache. As the cache owner, I represent that these files are safe to download, although these files have not been checked by Groundspeak or by the Geocache Reviewer for possible malicious content. As a result, downloading any files from these links is done at your own risk.
- Solve the puzzle. The puzzles vary in style and difficulty. The solution to the puzzle will give you the location of the preliminary cache.
- Find the preliminary cache. Note that the preliminary caches only contain logbooks. (However, all the containers are large enough to hold some items, so if you want to place an item in a cache, go ahead!) In addition to logging your visit, write down the password written on the inside cover of the logbook.
- Click here to access the jigsaw puzzle piece associated with this cache. The password you obtained from the cache logbook will allow you to open the jigsaw piece.
Once you have all nine jigsaw pieces, assemble them to reveal the final puzzle. Solve the puzzle, and find the Final Cache!
In addition to swag, a logbook, and an FTF prize, the Final Cache contains completion certificates for a job well done!
To convert your trivia answers into passwords, simply take the answer to the question, remove any spaces, punctuation, capitalization, and leading “a”, “an”, or “the”, and spell out any abbreviations. If the answer has more than one part, list both parts, without any “and” or anything else between them. For example, if the two-part answer to a question is “Jan. 1” and “Dec. 31”, the password is “january1december31”. If the answer to a question is the movie “The Presidio”, the password is “presidio”.
If the puzzle doesn’t open, it means one of several things:
- You don’t have the right answer to the question!
- You misspelled the password. Obviously, for something like this, spelling matters. Remember, no spaces or capital letters should be used.
- If you’re “sure” you have the right answer, and still can’t open it, send me a message and let me know what happened. If you can demonstrate that you know the correct answer, I’ll do what I can to help you.
Got all that? Good! Then without further fanfare,
Here’s the trivia question for this preliminary cache:
Sculptures of the title characters of this American children’s literature classic can be found at N55° 43.701', E37° 33.336'.
You can use www.geocheck.org to verify the locations of all nine preliminary caches. (The final cache cannot be verified this way, as the design of the puzzle makes it too prone to iterative solving if that tool is available.)
There are many hints located throughout all these caches—but NOT necessarily with the preliminary cache you're currently working on! For example, a hint to the trivia question for KIDDIE LITter #4 might be located with KIDDIE LITter #7, or a hint to the puzzle solution to KIDDIE LITter #6 might be located with KIDDIE LITter #1. Therefore, if you need hints to a trivia question, or to any of the puzzles or caches, your best approach may be to try working on a different preliminary cache. Hints are not hidden; they are all located in one of these three locations:
- The second page of puzzle pdf files
- The second page of jigsaw piece pdf files
- www.geocheck.org successful puzzle solution messages
|Approximate cache publishing dates
||KIDDIE LITter #1
||KIDDIE LITter #2
||KIDDIE LITter #3
||KIDDIE LITter #4
||KIDDIE LITter #5
||KIDDIE LITter #6
||KIDDIE LITter #7
||KIDDIE LITter #8
||KIDDIE LITter #9
||KIDDIE LITter--The Final LITter Box