St Kentigern side track (Canterbury)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
An easy drive-by cache for scenery cruisers or for the more energetic cyclists on the cycle rail track.
St Kentigern is a lovely little picture perfect church in the Kaituna Valley about 4km from the Kaituna Valley Scenic Reserve.
The first church services in this area were held in a woolshed in 1858. Anglican services began in 1866 and were held in the homestead of T.H. Parkinson. In 1912 the first meeting was held about building a church but it took 20 years until it was authorised and land given by W.F. Parkinson.
The foundation stone of the slate and gable towered church was laid on 1 July 1933 and the construction completed in 1934. The church was dedicated on 12 May. On 29 July 1951 St. Kentigern was consecrated.
The additions of the lychgate in front of the church in 1991 and the stone wall to both sides of the lychgate in 1993 were funded by the Parkinson Family Trust. The altar was given by descendants of the Rhodes family, the first owners of the Kaituna Run sold to T.H. Parkinson in the early 1860’s. The stone of the altar and the credence table were locally sourced, made of Otahuna stone from nearby Tai Tapu. A service is held every fourth Sunday of the month at 9.30am.
The cache container is a black 500g screw top plastic container accessible from the roadside. When placed it contained the usual geocaching note, log book, 2 pencils, Geocaching logo pin, and a fluro frog to keep it company in the dark.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum