"Shirley" is a wonderfully restored 20 pound Cannon. Located in a park which also contains the local War Memorial. So due respect is required when in this area. Once this cannon was returned to the park it was screaming for a nano cache.
This restored cannon, Barrel No L10771 was manufactured in Melbourne in 1942. Used by the 2/12 Field Regiment, Royal Australian Army in New Guinea, Labuan Island & Borneo from August 1943 to March, 1946. The shield signs of the cannnon signifies the 9th Division Artillery.
"Shirley" was named in honour of Brigadier Shirley T.W. Goodwin, killed in action on 25 November, 1943. The first Commanding Officer of 2/12 Feild Regiment. Lest we Forget.