Bowl a Maiden Over (Silly Mid On)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Please see waypoint below for parking. see (Bowl a Maiden Over (Leaning Stump) for the location of this cache. This is part 4 of a seven stage multi cache covering about 3 miles of path ways around old mine workings. Idea for walking, cycling or horse riding
This is a 35mm film container with pen and log book. It also contains part of the final cache co-ordinates and the co-ordinates for the 5th part of the cache
In 1823 Consolidated Mines in Gwennap under the lease of John Taylor (one of Cornwall’s greatest mining engineers) was the largest producer of copper ore in the WORLD. By the late 18th century it had become very prosperous with Wheal Fortune and Cusvey working a lode called ‘ Bread and Cheese’. The working conditions were very gruelling with temperatures on the 300 fathom being in excess of 96 degrees Fahrenheit.
In1824 permission was granted to build a railway between Redruth and Point to carry ore to the ports and in 1926 the four foot gauge line was officially opened. Horses drew the wagons until steam engines were introduced in 1854.
John Taylor took over the lease of United mines too but in 1839 after an argument with the Williams family he failed to renew his lease so United and Consols mines were run by the Williams family.
In 1858 the mines closed after production had exceeded 442,000 tons of copper ore selling for £3 million and employing over 3,000 workers.
In 1861 Clifford Amalgamated was formed from Wheal Clifford, United and Consols group of mines and during the next 8 years raised 105,000 tons of copper ore which sold for over £473,000. It also sold black tin, iron pyrites and arsenic.
In 1870 Wheal Fortune and Cusvey mines were abandoned and the machinery scrapped or sold.
Unfortunately for Cornwall a good grade of tin was found lying in the ground of Malaysia which was far cheaper to produce and Cornwalls’ once great and proud heritage is now silent.
Not a great deal of archaeology remains of this massive mining complex. Between 1880and 1907 extensive recovery of dump material was carried out and during the 2nd world war the US forces were stationed at United Downs and Gorlands Engine House was destroyed as target practise. The SW section of the mine has been turned into a waste disposal site and the NW section into an industrial estate. In the Eastern half the former clock tower can be seen. Once sited at the administrative heart of the mine it was partially dismantled and the mechanism taken to St Day to be installed in the clock tower.
Gwennap Parish Council bought the land for £1 and it is now an amenity area providing great fun for mountain bikers, horse riders and walkers who can join the tramway trail which runs from Portreath to Devoran at the bottom of the valley.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum