Skip to Content

Traditional Geocache

Santa Ana [Tavira]

A cache by Alieri Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 6/18/2009
In Faro, Portugal
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: micro (micro)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


CHURCHErmida Old photo

IGREJA DE SANTA ANA:

Situada no Alto de Santa Ana, esta ermida remonta à Idade Média, sendo um dos templo mais antigos da cidade.
Outrora localizada fora dos limites de Tavira, em local ermo e elevado, recebeu um enquadramento urbano a partir da segunda metade do século XVIII, com a construção do palácio do Governador e Capitão General do Algarve, passando a funcionar desde então, integrada naquele edifício, como capela do palácio.

O padroado deste templo pertencia à Ordem de Santiago. Em visitação desta ordem datada de 1518, a ermida é descrita como tendo "huma soo casa (...) hum altar na capella de huma soo pedra com quatro esteyos e huma imagem de Samta Ana com Nossa Senhora e Seu Filho no collo, de vullto, çarrada com suas grades (...) E o corpo da dita Irmida tem as paredes de pedra e caal e com hum arquo no meyo." O visitador salienta ainda que "hé tam amtigua que nom há hy memoria de quem a edificou".

Foi reconstruída no século XVIII, obtendo o seu aspecto actual*, registando-se a data de 1727 na torre sineira.
Apresenta uma planta longitudinal, composta pelos rectângulos da nave única e capela-mor, com sacristia anexa e estreita divisão de acesso ao púlpito. A fachada principal, muito simples, é aberta por um portal setecentista de verga arqueada e lacrimais nas ombreiras, repetindo-se a abertura em moldes idênticos na fachada lateral. A cobertura é em telhado de duas águas.

O interior é decorado por três retábulos: o da capela-mor, em talha dourada, estilo nacional, com imagens de madeira integradas; e dois laterais mais tardios. Destaca-se uma pintura de Nossa Senhora da Piedade, quinhentista, com nítida influência da obra do conhecido pintor Luís de Morales, El Divino (1510-91).

A ermida manteve-se na posse do exército até 1936, ano em que foi adquirida pela Câmara Municipal de Tavira.
Texto retirado de http://www.ippar.pt/

* A Ermida e toda a zona envolvente foram alvo de obras de restauro e requalificação recentes. Da zona da cache pode observar-se o Rio Gilão e uma panorâmica, embora limitada, de Tavira. 

Reabilitada recentemente, funciona como espaço museológico e de concertos inseridos na programação regular de “Músicas nas Igrejas”, promovida pela Câmara Municipal..
No seu interior o visitante dispõe de informações sobre a evolução histórica do edifício desde a origem até aos nossos dias.

Horário:
Verão: Terça-feira a Sábado: 10h00 - 12h30 / 15h00 – 18h30
Inverno: Terça-feira a Sábado: 10h00 – 12h30 / 14h00 – 17h30
Encerrado: Domingos, Segundas e Feriados

Contactos:
Museu Municipal de Tavira / Ermida de Santa Ana
Morada: Largo de Santa, 8800 Tavira
Telefone: 281320568

Ermida small Ermida tower

ENGLISH:

Located in Alto de Santa Ana, this chapel dates back to the Middle Ages, one of the oldest temple in the city.
Once located outside the limits of Tavira, it received an urban environment since the second half of the eighteenth century, with the construction of the palace of the Governor and Captain General of the Algarve, being since then incorporated in building, as the palace chapel.
   
This temple belonged to the Order of Santiago. In written records from 1518 "visitation", the chapel is described as being "so old, there is no memory of who build it".
It was rebuilt in the eighteenth century, achieving its current appearance *, with the date 1727 in the bell tower.
   
The chapel remained in the possession of the Army until 1936, when it was acquired by the city of Tavira.
The Chapel and the entire surrounding area were recently restored. From the cache area you can seen the River Gilão and a nice overview, while limited, of Tavira.

Rehabilitated recently, it works as a museum and concert hall included in the regular programming of "Music in the Churches", promoted by City Hall.
In its interior the visitor has information on the historical development of the building from origin to the present day.

Visiting hours:
Summer: Tuesday to Saturday: 10:00 - 12:30 / 15:00 - 18:30
Winter: Tuesday to Saturday: 10.00 - 12.30 / 14.00 - 17.30
Closed: Sundays, Mondays and Holidays




Geocaching in Portugal: Site | Forum | Stats & Maps | Wiki


Additional Hints (Decrypt)

[ENG] jbbqcrpxre
[POR] Cvpn-cnh

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

1,833 Logged Visits

Found it 1,734     Didn't find it 42     Write note 26     Temporarily Disable Listing 5     Enable Listing 4     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 9     Owner Maintenance 9     Update Coordinates 3     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 134 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 11/22/2017 3:58:41 AM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (11:58 AM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page