|As we have seen, Arvid Bjerke's (1880-1952) career in architecture got a kick start when his uncle Anders Mattsson entrusted him with the task of designing Utby's first villas. As a token of his gratitude, he designed a church for Mattsson's wife Hulda free of charge. She had collected money for building it. The project lasted 1916-23 and the church itself was built 1917-19 on a hill, which gives it a rather prominent location.
The collection started in August of 1916 with a first contribution of 22000 Swedish kronor, donated by managing director Anders Mattsson (10000 kr), AB Sveriges förenade konservfabriker (5000 kr), home owner Anders Nyberg (3000 kr), J. A. Karlsson (2000 kr) och engineer Erik Wingqvist (2000 kr). Among later contributors were Mrs Ingeborg Gibson with 3000 kr, engineer Erik Wingqvist with another 3000 kr in addition to the bell that hangs in the tower, direktor Anders Mattsson with another 4000 kr, Mrs Emely Dicksson with 1000 kr, and AB Utbynäs Villastad with 3000 kr in addition to free transportation of building materials. The teacher Miss Evelina Urberg helped with the collection and raised about 1500 kr. Proprietor Evald Schmidt donated the bricks for the roof. The land upon which the church was to be built was common land and was donated by Anders and Gustav Nyberg, Martin Johansson, James Svensson and the estate of P. A. Andersson.
The design of the church building is inspired by medieval stone churches. The church gives the impression of having grown out of the bedrock, and it is indeed built of augen gneiss from the very rock it's standing on. The sideways facing tower is built of the same material as the rest of the building, but with a wooden top. It is crowned by a traditional church rooster.
Inside the church one will find a arched wooden ceiling and the walls are decorated with bold and modern paintings by the artist John Sten (1879-1922).
From the cache site you can see the top of the church tower if you look in the right direction. There is also another geocache close to the church, which is why this cache is located a little bit away from it.