Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A small round plastic box located on a nature trail in Lake Pleasant NY in the Southern Adirondacks.
This is NOT a winter cache. You can not find this when buried in snow. This geocache is located along a mini nature trail behind the Soil and Conservation Dept Office building. The building is located on County View Rd, which is off South Shore Rd, which is off route 8, in Lake Pleasant New York. The Office building is the second to last building on the left off County View Rd. There is a parking lot in front of the building. The nature trail is at the end of the small parking lot.
The Historical Society has been trying to find a good place to hide a geocache in this area. We found out that there was a nature trail being made behind the Soil and Conservation Building, and they wanted a geocache to help advertise the trail. What an open door for us.
Hamilton County became a full county in 1837. Behind the county buildings at the top of the hill three hotels use to stand overlooking Lake Sacandaga.
The first hotel was built in 1880 by Silas Call, which he called "Kun-ja-muck Inn" though many knew it as "Call's Hotel". Eventually it was owned by J. Thomas Stearns who called it "Sacandaga Lake Hotel." Hunting and trail guides were available at $3.00 a day. hotel rates were from $10.00 to $15.00 per week. The hotel burned to the ground in 1904.
J.D. Morley purchased the vacant site and by 1907 re-opened the "Sacandaga Lake Hotel" with a capacity of 250 guests. Morley sold the hotel to John A Cole in 1909. 1915 the hotel was sold to a syndicate with stockholders and known as the "Morley Adirondack Hotel Company". In preparing for the opening for 1916 season, a fire in the kitchen got out of control and the hotel was consumed by flames.
The "Hamilton Inn" was soon constructed on the same site and ready for occupancy in 1917. First re-named the "Morley Hotel" but later sold to the Adirondack Club and re-named "Hamilton Inn". Later a large gargae was constructed to house patron's automobiles. In the 1930's a group including Malcolm Atterbury purchased it and later sold the building to William and Sarah Osborne. November of 1947 this too burned to the ground. all that is left of these hotels is the stone walkway that can be seen from the route 8 side of knoll behind a tennis court.
There is an old Iroquois legend of a tribe who's name is forgotten in history. This legend was once told by a Mohawk named Capt. Gill. Capt. Gill would guide the first settlers of Lake Pleasant to hunting and fishing spots. Capt. Gill said this tribe had a village on a hill that is now believed to have been located where the three hotels once stood. According to the old legend there was a quarrel between the elders and the young men, and the young men killed all the older men. To please the Great Spirit, the tribe burned the bodies of the older men, but kept their heads separated. The leader of the massacre tide the heads of all the older men and threw them into Lake Sacandaga. The last head of the chain tangled around the young leader's leg and dragged him to the bottom of the lake. After a few day a large flying head came out the lake and chased the tribe out of the mountains. Today, the location of the village is cursed to those who build upon it. For the whole legend go to this website: (visit link)
Haqre n qrnq ybt.