In Iowa, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
1. The incombustible residue, fused into an irregular lump that remains after the combustion of coal.
2. A partially vitrified brick or a mass of bricks fused together.
3. An extremely hard burned brick.
4. Vitrified matter expelled by a volcano.
The following is from the Sioux City Public Museum Web page.
Cable & Street Cars
The first street railway company to operate in Sioux City was the The Sioux City Street Railway Company. The company was started by a group headed by Fred Evans, but it was bought out by James and Frank Peavey in 1888.
By April of 1890, the street car system was electrified and the first electric trolleys were running in Sioux City. By 1891, the line had sixteen miles of electric road and sixty-six "splendid cars", including open or summer cars.
Meanwhile, John Peirce, D.T, Hedges and other local promoters organized the Sioux City Cable Railway Company to bring a cable car line to the hilly suburbs of northern Jackson Street. They hoped that by bringing convenient transportation to the area, they could develop it into a prime residential area. Construction of the line began in 1888 and the first cars ran on May 30, 1889. The cable car line ran from Third and Jackson to the Peirce home at 29th and Jackson. It was later extended to 41st and Jackson. It also extended from Third and Jackson west to Water Street.
Midway along the line . . . . . . . . . a two-story brick building served as car barn, powerhouse and shop. Generators in the building propelled the endless cable than ran in a slot between the rails. The cable car conductor operated a clutch that extended into the slot to grab the moving cable. The cable car was then pulled along until the conductor disengaged the clutch and braked the car to a stop. Sometimes naughty boys would inflate a paper bag, tie it to a string, and let the string be caught up in the moving cable. The bag would move up the street, frightening horses and pedestrians.
The cable line was electrified in 1894 and eventually became part of Sioux City's streetcar system.
The only trace left of the old cable car line are formations that resemble volcanic rocks in what is now Sioux City's Sunken Gardens Park.
This cache has been muggled twice. I replaced it with a new container and made the hiding place more secure. Please replace it exactly as found.
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 07/17/2016 09:45:13 Pacific Daylight Time (16:45 GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum