Church Micro #761 Four Churches, East Teignmouth
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Magnetic cache reachable from outside a church. Four to choose from.
Four churches within 200 metres. CofE, Catholic, Jehovah's Wotsits and URC. You choose!
But you'll need tweezers.
"EAST TEIGNMOUTH parish contains 670 acres, and had only 484 inhabitants in 1801, but they had increased to 1576 in 1841. . . . The Earl of Devon is lord of the manor of East Teignmouth . . . which was long held by the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. . . . East Teignmouth Church (St. Michael,) was rebuilt in 1822-3, and is a neat cruciform structure, with a tower containing a clock and a bell. The interior is well arranged, and has a finely carved altar-piece, over which is a painting of Christ, crowned with thorns. The perpetual curacy, valued in K.B. at £11. 18s., and in 1831 at £135, is in the patronage of the Vicar of Dawlish, and incumbency of the Rev. W.P. Richards, B.C.L. There is neither glebe nor parsonage, and the great tithes are in the same appropriation as those of Dawlish, to which East Teignmouth was formerly a parochial chapelry. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Teignmouth (Teinemue, Tengemue) possessed a church of St Michael as early as 1044, when what is now East Teignmouth was granted by Edward the Confessor to Leofric, bishop of Exeter, and an allusion to salterers in the same grant proves the existence of the salt industry at that date. Teignmouth is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, but in 1276 what is now West Teignmouth appears as a mesne borough held by the dean and chapter of Exeter; what is now East Teignmouth continuing with the bishop, who was accused in that year of holding in his manor a market which should be held in the borough. The bishop's manor was alienated in 1550 to Sir Andrew Dudley, but West Teignmouth remained with the dean and chapter until early in the 19th century. In the middle ages Teignmouth was a flourishing port, able to furnish 7 ships and 120 mariners to the Calais expedition of 1347, and depending chiefly on the fishing and salt industries. In the early part of the 17th century the town had fallen into decay, but it speedily recovered, and in 1744 could contribute twenty vessels to the Newfoundland shipping trade. The borough was never represented in parliament, nor incorporated by charter. The Saturday market, which was held up to the 19th century, is mentioned in 1220, and was confirmed by royal charter in 1253, together with a fair at Michaelmas. Teignmouth was burned by French pirates in 1340, and was again devastated by the French on the 26th of June 1690.
If anybody would like to expand on this series please do so. Could you please let sadexploration at yahoo.co.uk know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication.
Zntargvp. Zbnavat tubfg sebz UC.
Lbh'yy arrq gjrrmref!
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum