How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This a cache that takes you near to 2 of the 39 halls that still exist as meeting places and headquarters for the members of the City of London Liveries.
Liveries (also known as Companies or Worshipful Companies) began in the medieval times and were originally trade guilds. These were set up to protect and further the interests of the tradesmen and women plying the trade within the City boundaries that the guild represented. Indeed they were the earliest forms of monopolies!
Royal Charters were and are granted to the guilds to be able to conduct trade. Members paid to belong to the guild and the word guild is derived from the Saxon word meaning “to pay”. The earliest reliably known about charter was granted to the Weavers in 1155. The most recent is the Tax Advisers – granted in 2005.
Today livery companies often still represent their trades (the Goldsmiths still run the London Assay Office where millions of pieces of gold, silver and platinum are hallmarked each year; the Fishmongers still vet for quality the 200 tonnes plus of fish each day being sold in Billingsgate market).
However most today are social and charitable institutions that keep the traditions of their guild going, play an active role in the election from their members of the Lord Major (he or she is an international ambassador for London trade and industry – not the Major of London, e.g. Boris Johnson who is a government figure) and if they are lucky to have a hall (there are 108 livery companies and only 39 halls) to keep that building in good repair and in active use for social and trade events.
For more information about livery companies, please see: (visit link)
To be a liveryman (the term includes men and women), one has first to gain the Freedom of the City of London. This allows (possibly not actually but has become apocryphal) the right to drive one’s cattle and sheep across London Bridge, to carry an unsheathed sword, to urinate in a public place without arrest and to be hanged with a silk rope. Also, if found to be drunk in public, to be put in a taxi and sent home, rather than arrested, by the City Police.
Yes, I am a freeman and liveryman, and haven’t tried any of the privileges to see if they work in practice (well, maybe the drunk one…).
And if we do meet whilst out caching – we don’t do funny handshakes!
Glass and Fish takes in a view of two halls from a viewpoint that would be a convenient place to stop if you were driving your cattle into London. It is a nano, so please don’t drop it!
It covers the hall that houses the Worshipful Company of Glaziers and Painters of Glass (founded 1328 – charter 1638) Their original hall was burnt down in 1666, the current one was acquired together with The Scientific Instrument Makers in 1977. It also is home to the Launderers.
For more info see: (visit link) (visit link) and (visit link)
You can also see the Fishmongers from here. One of the “Great Twelve” the Fishmongers were granted its first Royal Charter in 1272, although it is known a guild existed as early as 1154.
A famous Fishmonger was their Master Sir William Walworth, who whilst Lord Major in 1381 ended the peasant’s revolt by stabbing their leader Wat Tyler in front of King Richard II at Smithfield.
The dagger used is still held within the Hall, which was completed in 1835, and is their 4th hall, the first being built in a nearby house in 1310, the second built in 1434 in the same house but again burnt down in the great fire of 1666 and the third was built next door to the current site in 1671 and was demolished in 1828.
For more information please see: (visit link)
Lots of history but a very small cache – hope that works OK.
Whfg nobir naq ba gur evtug fvqr bs gur erq yvsrfnire. Haqre gur fgehgf. Evtug unaq fvqr. Abg zntargvp. Cyrnfr unaqyr pnershyyl - qbrfa'g sybng...
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum