In june 1815 Ferdinando IV di Borbone bought for his wife Lucia Migliaccio, duchess of Floridia and, before that, widow of prince Benedetto III Grifeo di Partanna, the estate of prince Giuseppe Caracciolo di Torella, wide lot on the Vomero hill, where it had been erected a mansion that, onoring his wife, he called Floridiana.
The buying by the King, in 1817, of properties near the villa earned the mansion another entrance on the side of Chiaia. It was given to the architect Antonio Niccolini the charge to renovate the old construction and between 1817 and 1819 he completed the mansion in neoclassical style and the wide park in romantic style.
Aves and paths were fixed to green by the the director of the botanical garden Friedrich Dehnhardt that ornated the park with 150 species of plants counting live oaks, pines, plane trees, palms, box trees and a rich collection of perfect flowers (cammelias).
The park itself is a scenographic rotation of winding paths and shadowy groves, beautiful the one wit cammelias, with wide areas occupied by prateries and open to the gulf, in a facinating synthesis of geometric elements typical of the italian garden and of perspective solutions of the english gardens.
enhancing the romantic atmosphere of the park, niccolini placed a series of false ruins, statues and architectural elements, in part still existing.
From 1927 Villa Floridiana hosts a museum dedicated to the decorative arts: Il Museo Nazionale della Ceramica Duca di Martina.