Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
35mm film canister with logbook;
BYOP (bring your own pen)
The town of Valka is the central town in the District of Valka in northern Latvia, on the border with Estonian.
The district of Valka has a long and colourful history and was first mentioned in historical sources in the year 1286 in the Dept Book of Riga. Many historic events took place in Valka or in the neighbourhood, and in 1560 the Russian army won the decisive victory over the Livonian Order at the battle of Ergeme near Valka.
After the cease-fire between Russia and the state of Poland-Lithuania in 1582, the entire province of Vidzeme came under Polish rule, including the inhabitants of Valka. Two years later King Stefan Batory of Poland granted town rights to Valka, and four years later the town’s Coat of Arms was confirmed. In 1721 the province of Vidzeme was placed under the command of Russia, and two years later Valka became the centre of the district.
Upon the independence of Latvia and Estonia in July 1, year 1920 the Court of arbitration decided to divide the city of Valka between the two countries.
After border dividing by an international jury headed by British Colonel Stephen George Tallents Valka and the Estonian town Valga are twins, separated by the Estonian/Latvian border but using the slogan „One Town, Two States”.
With the expansion of the Schengen Agreement and abolition of the Estonian/Latvian border in 2007, it was announced that common public bus transport would be established between Valka and Valga. Also, all border crossing-points were removed and roads and fences opened.
Put in cache at the same place and position!!!
Inyxn - Inytn
Yngivn - Rfgbavn