This cache has been locked, but it is available for viewing.
Munkácsi vár (Castle of Mukacheve)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The Palanok castle is a historic castle in the city of Munkács (Mukachovo) in the western Ukrainian oblast of Zakarpattia (Kárpátalja). Its name originates from the old Hungarian name Muncas, which is a form of the word ”munka” (work). The founding cornerstone for the castle was laid sometime in the 14th century.
Through the centuries, the castle served as a residence to many famous people: the Koriatovych family for almost 200 years, the Serbian prince Ðurad Brankovic, János Hunyadi, Regent of Hungary and Ilona Zrínyi, the mother of the Hungarian monarch Ferenc Rákóczi II.
During the ownership of Prince Fedir Koriatovych the castle became one of the most protected castles in the region. The prince and his family lived in the highest part of the castle, which had lavishly decorated interiours. Ferenc Rákóczi II later used the castle as the centre of a war of independence led by himself.
After the storming of the Bastille in France, the Palanok Castle was used as an all-European political prison (1796 - 1897). During 1805–1806, the Crown of St. Stephen was kept within the castle to protect it from Napoleon I's troops. In 1926, the castle was used as barracks and later as an agricultural college.
For all its history it has never been conquered in a fair battle and is one of the most fortified castles in Europe. It had a strong protection: 164 cannons of varying sizes and 60 barrels of gunpowder. The castle was surrounded by a deep moat and high wooden walls to protect the castle from invaders.
The Palanok Castle is delicately preserved, and is located on a former 68 metres high volcanic hill. The castle complex consists of three parts: the high, middle, and low castle. The total area of the castle is 14,000 m². The castle consists of 130 different rooms with a complex system of underground passages connecting them together. The castle currently houses a museum dedicated to the history of Munkács and the castle.
The official opening hours of the castle:
9 a.m. – 4 p.m. according to the Hungarian time (CET).
It is likely you’ll find the castle open beside the opening hours.
The entrance fee is 8 UAH (200 HUF) for adults and 5 UAH (125 HUF) for children.
The cache measures 16 x 16 x 6 cm, a plastic container with a blue lid. From the castle’s parking lot walk backwards 15 metres until an arch. Enter through the arch, you’ll arrive to the dry trenck of the lower castle. The cache is hidden on the LHS (left hand side) of the entrance, close to the middle of the opposite wall.
Parking lot at the castle’s entrance: N 48° 25,826' E 22° 41,260'
There is a small amount to pay but your car won’t got stolen. The fee is 2 UAH (50 HUF) for cars and 10 UAH (250 HUF) for buses.
oruvaq ubevmbagny pbapergr oybpx