(Meet you at the) Cemetery Gates
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A small container (no pencil) affixed magnetically, located in the vicinity of the gates of Paddington Street Gardens. A popular pedestrian thoroughfare and summer lunch location, so it can get very busy. GPS coverage can be poor due to tree cover. The cache is located outside the Gardens which remain consecrated ground and so out of bounds for caches.
Please replace as found and ensure it is as out of sight as possible.
Paddington Street Gardens were established during the 18th century as an additional burial ground for the old St Marylebone Parish Church. Paddington Street itself dates from the 1760s. The land on the south side of it, one acre and one rood, was granted to the parish by Edward Harley (as in Harley Street), Earl of Oxford, in 1730 and consecrated as a burial ground in 1733. By 1771 further space for graves was needed and the parish bought the piece of land on the north side of the street from Mr. Henry Portman.
When the St John's Wood burial ground opened in 1814, this one was officially closed, but the gardens remain consecrated ground.
In 1885 the gardens became a recreational ground which was officially opened by HRH Princess Louise on 6 July 1886. Most of the tombstones have been removed but the mausoleum in the south garden erected by the Hon Richard Fitzpatrick to the memory of his wife Susanna was left because of its exceptionally fine design.
The Gardens are open from 7.00 a.m. to at least 5pm and later in the summer months. There is a fun kids playground at the southern end with some unconventional equipment and if you like meat, there is a great butcher, The Ginger Pig, towards the Marylebone High Street end of Moxon Street. On Sunday mornings, there is a farmers' market in the car park in Moxon Street.
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum