How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
After seeing many other Alphabetical series, we decided to do our
own for our corner of the county of Buckinghamshire.
The caches all vary, some are bigger than others, but none are
micros and all have room for swaps.
Little Horwood is a village and also a civil parish within Aylesbury Vale district in Buckinghamshire, It is located about four miles ESE of Buckingham, two miles north east of Winslow.
The village name 'Horwood' is Anglo Saxon in origin, and means 'dirty or muddy wood'. In the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle in 792 the village was recorded as Horwudu.
The parish church dedicated to St Nicholas has a perpendicular style tower built of large blocks of ashlar, the remainder of the church externally dates from the restoration of 1889 by the architect J P St Aubyn. This architect's work, today, is not always viewed kindly. His Victorian Gothicisation of so many churches and houses has been described in terms ranging from vandalism to ruthless. Little Horwood church was lucky, as the interior survived relatively unscathed; and the early 16th century wall paintings depicting the seven deadly sins survived as did the Jacobean pulpit, and the decorated style chancel arch.
The manor of Little Horwood anciently belonged to the abbot and convent of St Albans, though it was seized by the Crown in the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the mid 16th century. It was later sold to George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham who remodelled the manor house, which is now demolished.
Vgf n oerrmr