Thanks Icenrye for doing the photo!!
On May 1 and 2, 2010, scores of events are being held around the world to celebrate the tenth anniversary of geocaching. Come out to West Lake and join in the celebration!
Read more about the history of geocaching here.
When: May 1, 2010, 1:00pm - ?
Where: 23675 West Lake Road
What: Celebration and BBQ
Things that will happen:
- lawn chair or something to sit on
- something for the BBQ
- life jacket (if you have one)
- ATV(optional, lol)
- camping stuff (if you plan on staying the night)
- Bocce (for the kids) all afternoon and evening
- Croquet (for the kids) all afternoon and evening
- Excursions to nearby caches beginning at 2:00.
Please state in your log which excursion (if any) you would like to do:
- On the lake (i.e. - boat) caches such as West Lake a.k.a. Nadsilnich (with more to come)
- Fyfe Lake FSR caches featuring Viewpoint from a Skidtrail and others.
- Provincial Park hides including Way Out West Lake and several others.
- Excursion to Baldy Hughes on the Pinetree Line
I will need four volunteers to lead each of the above group(s). So far plumbrokeacres and 2canam have offered to take a group. Please let me know if you are interested.
If you are not interested in going anywhere, don't worry there will be someone at the event location all afternoon. Feel free to hang out there for the afternoon.
The BBQ starts at 5:00 and there also be a campfire. I will supply salads, buns and pop. I will also make up some burgers to throw on the BBQ or campfire. Bring steak or chicken or whatever if you would prefer that. We will celebrate 10 years of our pastime with food, drink and tales. Anyone is welcome to set up a tent (there is lots of room) and spend the night and really focus on the celebrating aspect. Let me know in your "will attend" log that you are planning on doing this. Please also indicate in that log how many people will be accompanying you to give me an idea of what to expect.
Please park along the west side of the road.
Don't worry. The ice will be gone for the event!
History of Geocaching
- May 1, 2000 - President Clinton declares the end of Selective Availability
- May 2, 2000 - Selective Availability turned off
- May 3, 2000 - First "stash" (cache) hidden by Dave Ulmer
- May 30, 2000 - The term geocaching was first suggested by Matt Stum
- Sept 2, 2000 - Geocaching.com web site launched with 75 caches listed
- Dec 26, 2006 - First 7 digit geocache id assigned
- Mar 8, 2010 - 1,000,000th active geocache listed