Born in Malacca in 1805, Tan Kim Seng came to Singapore where he made a fortune as a trader. Tan started his firm, Kim Seng and Company, shortly after his arrival here in 1840 and amassed a large fortune in his lifetime, becoming well-known for his public acts of charity. One of Tan's best-known donations was the sum of $13,000 in 1857 towards the building of Singapore's first public waterworks, designed to provide a better supply of fresh water to the town. The Tan Kim Seng Fountain was erected in Fullerton Square by the Municipal Commissioners in 1882 to commemorate his generous donation. The fountain was moved to Battery Road in 1905 and later in 1925 to the Esplanade Park where it now stands.
The fountain is inscribed with the following words:
This ۰fountain ۰is ۰erected ۰by ۰the ۰Municipal ۰Commissioners ۰in ۰commemoration ۰of ۰Mr. ۰Tan ۰Kim ۰Seng's ۰donation ۰towards ۰the ۰cost ۰of ۰the ۰Singapore ۰Water ۰Works.
The cache is a small plastic box containing log and pencil.