Built in 1883 the Dunbow School, originally named St. Joseph's Industrial Residential School, was the first of three industrial schools in Western Canada that became the prototype for all the residential schools that followed across the Country.
Nothing remains at the site today except this Cemetery, where in 2001 the remains of some of the 73 children that died at the school were reburied after the Highwood River started washing away the original burial sites; and a few old dilapidated outbuildings on the nearby Farm .
The school was closed in 1924.
In side the fence it is a Cemetery so please treat the area with respect, but do read the plaques.
Special Note!The cache is on the fence line, not at the cairns. Any items around the base of these are prayer or memory items left by Natives or children, and are not part of the cache.