How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Looking for a square peanut container. Taped appropriately.
Tony's travels will start from this cache when he has his papers in order.
So to start things off there are currently 3 travel bugs. This is a cache where travel bugs can be swapped and traded. Please only take one if you drop one. Belle Plaine's first TB Hotel is up and running for business. Be respectful of the neighbors. Please re-hide cache as found if not better. CITO if necessary. There is a trash can on the premises.
From the Belle Plaine Herald 11/3/10
Buried on Tiny Hill in Belle Plaine Twp. is Niece of Man Rumored to be Historic Indian War Chief
by Dan Ruud
Drusilla (Larsh) Truax was born in 1796 in Mason County, Kent., and died in 1888 in Belle Plaine at the age of 91. Not much is known about her in these parts except that she and her husband, who also lived into his 90s, are buried in what until a few decades ago was an abandoned cemetery surrounded by woods and cropland in Belle Plaine Township.
It’s called Mount Moriah Cemetery and is located on a knoll (small hill) near the junction of County Road 64 and Goshen Boulevard. History of the site goes back to 1854, when a log church, also used as a school, was built three miles east of Belle Plaine on what is now County Road 64.
In 1866, John and Elisa Truax deeded a portion of their farm to the Mount Moriah Cemetery Association. A frame church was built there in 1880 at a cost of $425. It served a small congregation until the end of the century and was eventually used for funerals before being abandoned.
The building deteriorated over the years and it was demolished in 1975.
Fred Hart, who died last year, initiated the chain of events that led to the reclamation of the cemetery. Hart said in 1980 that he had recently read a VFW magazine about “a bunch of servicemen out East who had fixed up a cemetery that had been abandoned for 40 years and looked like a jungle.”
Hart contacted the Belle Plaine Township Board and VFW and both expressed interest in restoring the cemetery. The property was turned over to Belle Plaine Township in 1980 and the Belle Plaine VFW Post agreed to clean up the site and maintain it.
The most recent tombstone (added many years after his death) in Mount Moriah Cemetery marks the grave of Edward Cutts Townsend, who died of illness contracted while delivering supplies to soldiers fighting in the Indian Uprising. Another headstone marks the grave of pioneer residents Thomas and Mary Chard.
A photo of how the cemetery looked from a distance many years ago accompanies this article, showing how the word “mount” came to be in the cemetery’s name. The cemetery is no longer as visible from the roadside as it once was as more trees and brush have grown around it. In fact, many people have probably driven by it multiple times without knowing it’s there
For the complete story, see this week's issue of the Belle Plaine Herald
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum