Llandaff Cathedral stands on one of the oldest Christian sites in Britain. In the sixth century St Dyfrig founded a community close to the ford where the Roman road crossed the river Taff. He was succeeded by St Teilo and then Teilo's nephew, St Euddogwy. These three Celtic Saints remain patron saints of the present Cathedral and are represented by the three mitres in the Cathedral badge. Nothing remains of the original church but a Celtic Cross that stood nearby can still be seen near the door of the Chapter House.
The present cathedral dates from 1107 when Bishop Urban, the first Bishop appointed by the Normans, instigated the building of a much larger church.
In the 13th century the Chapter House and the Lady Chapel were built. Then, before the end of the 15th Century came the building, by Jasper Tudor, of the North West tower
Until the time of King Henry VIII, pilgrims thronged to the shrine of St Teilo whose tomb still stands in the sanctuary. When pilgrims were forbidden it was no longer possible to maintain the building adequately and over the next 200 years it fell into a state of near-ruin.
During the 19th century, the cathedral was extensively restored, the tower rebuilt and a spire added. On the evening of January 2, 1941 during World War II a German bomb fell beside the cathedral, causing massive destruction. Following this major restorations and reconfigurations were carried out under architect George Pace of York, and the building was back in use in June 1958.
The cache is a 35mm film container which is hidden outside the grounds of the Cathedral.
If anyone would like to expand this series please contact Sadexploration who will be able to give you a number.