The Calgary Parks 100 Project is a partnership between the City of Calgary Parks, and the Calgary Area Cachers to celebrate Calgary Parks 100th anniversary. Calgary Parks has supplied cache containers and swag for 100 caches, and we have placed these 100 caches in 100 parks around Calgary. These caches have some cool swag and trackables when placed, so make sure to find them as soon as they are published.
The Veterans Field of Honour is located in the heart of Queens Park Cemetery. In the centre of the area there are monuments dedicated to each of the branches of the armed forces - navy (anchor), army (Howitzer) and air force (prop).
The gravestones are simple with nearly all of them headstones set into the ground at ground-level.
The Queen's Park Cemetery only dates back to 1940, so its history is relatively recent. It was built with two original sections: one for graves with monuments, and one where the only markers would be flat stones set flush to the ground to lessen upkeep costs.
Upkeep has always been a challenge for cemetery management. On July 28, 1943, one headline read, "Women to Cut Grass for Parks Department" and followed it with an article stating that four women were to begin employment at the Union and Burnsland Cemeteries hoeing weeds and clipping grass around grave stones. "They will be paid at the regular rate of 50 cents an hour," said the newspaper, "in order to release four teenage boys for more necessary employment."
Albert Hunter, who was the manager of City cemeteries in the mid-Seventies, predicted that Calgary's cemeteries would soon become popular places for quiet recreation. At the time, residents of the North Hill were already enjoying the park-like surroundings of Queens Park Cemetery as a place to stroll and walk their pets - or using the city bicycle path system that ran through the grounds. A quarter of a century later, the now-mature Queen's Park Cemetery is a favourite spot for the walkers, runners and nature lovers from neighbouring communities.