How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Trumpets Hill Windmill
This mill was thought to have been erected sometime between 1760 and 1770 and subsequently worked by the Eades, millers at Shellwood mill in Leigh, and by the Bowyer family of nearby Wonham watermill. Ernest Bowyer was running the mill in 1889 with whom it finished work in 1893. A house was built near the mill in 1900 and the owner Mr Broderick accorded some maintenance to it in the mid-1930's. By 1950 however, rot had set in so much that for safety's sake it was demolished in October of that year.
This was the oldest of the four Surrey smock mills to have survived into the 1940's, and although it was the most modernised it was the first to stop working. Unusually the tower was built near ground level on only a few courses of brickwork. The tower supported a Kentish style cap and was winded by a fantail. Patent sails were fitted and within the mill there were at least two pairs of stones and possibly three.
Nothing remains of ther mill today but stood in the grounds of Trumpets Hill House to the west of the cache.
Gps signal was not very good under the tree cover so have added quite a strong hint.
Parking can be found at N.51.13.822 W.000.14.272 Trumpets Hill Road. just room for one car.
snyyra gerr fghzc