Mumbles lighthouse island
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Part of the Gower Island series
This cache is a small plastic tupperware box. *CAUTION* This cache is on a tidal island, it is not advised to cross unless there is a clear crossing check the tide times from the related web page link above
A stone lighthouse has stood on the outer islet at Mumbles Head since 1794. Originally a twin platform construction with a coal fired beacon on each, it was designed to alert passing ships of the dangerous Mixon Sands and Cherry Stone Rock - two massive undersea sand banks that have caused the destruction of countless ships and taken the lives of hundreds of seamen over the centuries.
In 1799, the twin coal-fired beacons were replaced by a single oil lantern and in 1905, this was made to flash at regular and precise intervals. With the retirement of the last lighthouse keeper in 1934, a modern automatic light was added to the structure of the original lighthouse.
The running of Mumbles Lighthouse is now the responsibility of Trinity House.
The collection of buildings that surround the lighthouse were a coastal defense fort that was built in 1861.
There is parking and facility's in the nearby mumbles peir
orfvqr cngu haqre ebpx bhgpebc