The area known as Snaky Lane was once the property of the Abbot of Chertsey Abbey when he was the Lord of the Manor of Ash. He was given the land in 1323 by a William Souter.
By 1871 the area had been incorporated into Lynchford Castle Farm, which covered a total of 70 acres and belonged to a James Nash. The road through Mr Nash’s farm was name as Stratford Road in a list prepared for Ash Parish Council in 1907, although it was known locally as Snaky Lane, nobody knows why.
Snaky Lane is now one of the few areas of unimproved grassland in the area comprising two distinct areas of mixed grassland, each one managed under different mowing regimes in order to maintain the rich floral mix. As the grass re-growth is managed it is hoped that the wildflower population will increase with a corresponding
increase in insect populations.
The site is open access and contains:
- acidic grassland
- newly planted trees
Owned by Guildford Borough Council it is now managed by local