Seventy years ago, on 9 September 1940, shocked parishioners saw the ruins of St Mary's Church burning. A large high explosive bomb had been dropped during the third night of the London Blitz and St Mary's is reputed to have been the first church in the capital to have been devastated.
Only the tower and spire built in 1754 remained standing.
In 1954, the architects, Seely and Paget, were briefed by the Revd Hugh Gough, Vicar, to create a Church that was spacious and light. Construction took two years and the church was opened on 17 December 1956. This explains the churches modern looking windows combined with the old tower and spire.
Visitors to St Mary's today still enter through a porch beneath the eighteenth century spire and on entering the vast worship space look up into the light interior. Behind them, over the door, a guilt inscription reads, "Destroyed by war. Restored in faith."