Chester to Denbigh Railway - Rhydymwyn Station
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
1 of 15 caches hidden along the route of the old Chester to Denbigh Railway
Rhydymyn was opened by the Mold & Denbigh Junction Railway on 12.9.1869 as part of its line linking Mold to Denbigh. From the outset services were operated by the LNWR who by this time owned the Chester to Mold line which had an end on connection to the Mold & Denbigh Junction line at Mold. The line retained its independence until the Railways Act of 1921 when it became part of the LMS.
During WW2 a siding served the Valley Works a mustard gas production and shell filling factory at Rhydymwyn.
The station was located to the east of a level crossing in the village of Rhydymyn. Its main station building was located on the Denbigh platform and a waiting shelter was provided on the Chester Platform. Although this line could never be described as a main line it did host regular passenger services between Corwen, Ruthin, Denbigh, Mold and Chester although
by the early 1960's the only service to operate was the all stations Chester General to Ruthin service which usually consisted of only two coaches.
Rhydymwyn Station closed on 28.4.1962 and it is still standing today. Station buildings are still in existance along with the waiting shelter although the track bed between the platforms has been infilled and the edge stones used in garden walls. On the opposite side of the road part of the crossing gates can still be found in the undergrowth.
The Mold and Denbigh Junction Railway company was incorporated on the 6 August 1861 to build a 15.75-mile (25.35 km) link railway between the Mold Railway and the Vale of Clwyd Railway. The line opened on 12 September 1869 and was worked by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR), although it remained independent. Under the 1922 Railway grouping, the line became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS); and on nationalisation became part of British Rail.
The line was closed to passengers on 30 April 1962 not, as many believe, under the Beeching Axe, which was to come later. Goods traffic prevailed for two decades following the cessation of passenger services, serving the nearby Synthite Chemical works; though the line was very much reduced at this stage, terminating at the Synthite works and forming a junction with the network at Penyffordd, where once it had continued through Broughton and on to Saltney Junction. Mold station survived until 1983 (though occupied by a builders merchant), when the Synthite works transferred from rail to road haulage, and the line was subsequently lifted, having now lost its last remaining usage. Mold station was demolished shortly after and was redeveloped as a supermarket.
You are looking for a 30ml cammo test tube style container containing a log book.
xrrcvat qel va gur pbeare 7 sbbg uvtu
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum