Updated January 22, 2011!!,
The following update includes: Event Rules, FAQs
Ocotillo Wells SVRA Is Excited To Announce The Second Annual Roughneck Rendezvous Off-Highway Geocaching Adventure!
This year's theme is "Putting the Pieces Together"; an exploration of the many pieces that come together to create the wonderful puzzle that is OWSVRA. This year, we have divided the many pieces of Ocotillo Wells into 10 sub-themes (mammals, creepy crawlers, OW History, etc...) that will each have 9 caches attached to it. Like last year, each physical cache will contain a trading card, a stamp and pad, with which you will log the caches. This year, in addition to those items, there will also be a "puzzle piece" that you will affix in your log book as part of the logging process. Instead of receiving raffle tickets for each cache that you find, you will receive raffle tickets for each puzzle that you complete!
In response to some of your great suggestions from last year we have made a few changes to our schedule! This year's Friday night activities will be shorter in length in order to let you go out and night cache at a decent hour! From 6:00pm to 7:15pm we will have a few brief presentations on some of the "pieces" of Ocotillo Wells and starting at 7:15pm and ending at 8:30pm we will have an exploration of the night sky (with our huge 11' telescope!) while feasting on s'mores and hot chocolate!
Saturday morning we will register participants and download coordinates starting at 7am. From 9am to 4pm there will be interpretive booths and a compass scavenger hunt that will count towards raffle tickets at the end of the day! We will also have several new earth caches ready for your geo-enjoyment! Our cache verification (and raffle ticket) booth will be open from 3pm to 5pm. Remember, you need to be in line by 5pm in order to receive raffle tickets for the caches you have found! Our raffle will be held between 6:30 and 8:00 pm and will be followed by a movie (TBD) on our giant outdoor screen. Raffle prizes and their donors will be listed as they come in and we are expecting a great raffle this year!
The Sunday CITO schedule has also been changed. This year we will start registration at 7am, when you will be able to receive bags, trash "grabbers", and gloves to help you with the cleanup. The cleanup will end at 11am this year - and will be followed by a free lunch! During lunch we will also play a few games and hand out some great prizes.
Click HERE for the CITO Event!
Please feel free to contact us at 760-767-5772 to make any suggestions or comments about this year's event!
We look forward to seeing you all there!
If you would like to support
Geocaching at OWSVRA with a raffle
donation, please contact us at
Q: Where will I download my event coordinates?
A: We will have computers set up at the main event area on Main St. with software, GSAK, that we will use to download the coordinates onto your GPS or flash drive. We will also have CD's so you can download the coordinates using your own laptop. We recommend that you bring a laptop and make it available to your fellow cachers if you have time! This will help alleviate the long lines at the coordinate download booth!
Q: How much does this event cost?
A: This event is completely free! Entrance to the park and camping within the park is completely free as well.
Q: Where can I camp?
A: Ocotillo Wells SVRA has an open camping policy and this includes the area around the event site. There are no hookups for RVs or trailers, but there are bathrooms at the event area and showers available off of Ranger Station Rd.
Q: Where are there hotels in the area?
A: Here is a list of local hotels from the Borrego Springs Chamber of Commerce website: http://www.borregospringschamber.com/lodging.html
Q: Are you able to log all caches put out for the event on Geocaching.com?
A: This year you will be able to log over half of the caches on Geocaching.com. Every cache that you find that has a logbook with a GC###### written on it will be active on geocaching.com sometime on the 29th of January. The non-official caches put out for this event will be taken out in 6 months time in case you would like to complete your event booklet.
Q: Will there be food vendors at the event site?
A: Yes! We will have Dev's BBQ with his homemade sauces and secret recipes, as well as SDORC, who will be selling there famous hot-dogs and bratwurst!
If you have another question please feel free to contact us!
Ocotillo Wells Roughneck Rendezvous Rules and Guidelines
Saturday, January 29th 2011
Welcome to Ocotillo Wells SVRA's second annual Roughneck Rendezvous. By following these guidelines, we can make this event a fun, safe, and responsible excursion into our beautiful desert.
- Registration is dependent on having a GPSr unit. One (1) unit will get you one(1)registration packet to use out in the field to log your caches.
- Once you have registered, or if you have pre-registered on Friday afternoon, then you can proceed with your event packet to the waypoint download station. Here you will be able to download waypoints directly into your GPSr, or receive a CD with the waypoint files to download them directly from your own laptop.
- Once you have registered and downloaded your waypoints, you are able to go into the park and start hunting caches.
- After you have left the event area, please remember that the speed limit is 15mph within 50 feet of people or campsites.
- Even when not near people or campsites, always maintain a safe speed in order to ensure the safety of yourself and others.
- Once you have found a cache there are several things you must do to claim that cache:
- 1. Open cache box. On the inside cover of the lid is a label with the cache name. Open your Cache Authentication Booklet, and find the corresponding cache listed within.
- 2. Inside the cache is a stamp and an ink pad. Stamp the box to the right of the cache name in your booklet. Make sure that the stamp is legible because it will be compared to a master copy.
- 3. Take an interpretive trading card out of the cache. Write down the answer to the question found in your Cache Authentication Booklet. One card per group please.
- 4. Take the puzzle piece out of the bag holding them inside of the cache and affix it into your logbook in the appropriate spot.
- 5. Replace the cache in the same location that you found it.
- 6. Re-hide the cache as well or better than you found it to make it an interesting find for the next cachers.
- 7. As always, watch out for muggles! If caught, please explain geocaching and the Roughneck Rendezvous Event. Direct them to the headquarters on Main Street if they have further questions.
Remember, this event is not a race!
Strategy, NOT speed will earn you the most rewards!
- For each puzzle completed you will receive 10 raffle tickets. Each "puzzle" consists of 9 caches within the same theme; i.e. Mammals, Reptiles, Creepy Crawlers etc. Each of these themes has been laid out in a semi-linear fashion so that you can start at #1 and end at #9 without doubling back; it works in reverse as well!
- Keep your eyes peeled for the coordinates to our bonus caches as well! Inside the bonus caches, you will find something that might help you plan the rest of your day. But be warned, some of these areas are difficult to get to while some may be a "walk in the park."
- When you have finished caching, please return to the event area to turn in your Cache Authentication Booklet. The registration table will open at 3:00 PM on Saturday afternoon. If you are not in line to return your event packet by 5:00PM, you will not be able to turn in your totals.
- When you visit an event panel, exhibit or earth cache, you must answer the question that is asked on the back page of your booklet. Once you have done this, you may count that cache as logged.
- Remember, this is supposed to be a fun and responsible off-highway geocaching event in Ocotillo Wells. All park and event rules must be followed. There is a zero tolerance policy towards cheating and breaking any laws. These activities will disqualify you from the event and raffle.
GOOD LUCK AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION!