In Texas, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
A cache in the Steep Hollow Cemetery. (Container is no longer a pill jar!)
Steep Hollow community was established during the 1870-s. The cemetery was started in 1874 when Charles and Eveline Peters donated land to the church for that purpose. Steep Hollow takes its name from the steep banks of a branch of Wickson Creek which goes right through the middle of the cemetery.
The cemetery is across the road from the Baptist church of the same name. Saints Rest Baptist Church, now Steep Hollow Baptist Church, held its first meeting in 1873. The first church service was held outside under the trees. The original building, when completed, measured 24’ x 36’ in size. Three other buildings have since been constructed on the site. The present church building was completed in 1962.
In early days this community possessed 2 churches, a school, cotton gin, general store, and grist and syrup mills. The Baptist church remains. Nowadays there are several small businesses in the area, including a small store diagonally across the road from the cemetery which also serves excellent BBQ. A bakery/cafe has opened a short distance away, and an RV park has gone in directly across the road. Housing subdivisions have sprung up all around this area over recent years.
Cemetery is located at the intersection of 2 farm roads. There is a gravel/dirt road winding through the cemetery.
Congrats to nativtxn for the FTF!
Last Updated: on 6/17/2017 1:55:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time (8:55 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum