Curse of the FTF #5 - Gauteng ("Oubaas")
Field Marshal Jan Christiaan Smuts OM CH ED KC FRS PC South African and British Commonwealth statesman , military leader and philosopher. In addition to holding various cabinet posts, he served as Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa from 1919 until 1924 and from 1939 until 1948. He served in the First World War and as a British field marshal  in the Second World War
He led commandos in the Second Boer War for the Transvaal. During the First World War, he led the armies of South Africa against Germany , capturing German South-West Africa and commanding the British Army in East Africa From 1917 to 1919, he was also one of five members of the British War Cabinet, helping to create the Royal Air Force. He became a field marshal in the British Army in 1941, and served in the Imperial War Cabinet under Winston Churchill. He was the only person to sign the peace treaties ending both the First and Second World Wars.
One of his greatest international accomplishments was the establishment of the League of Nations , the exact design and implementation of which relied upon Smuts.  He later urged the formation of a new international organisation for peace: the United Nations . Smuts wrote the preamble to the United Nations Charter , and was the only person to sign the charters of both the League of Nations and the UN. He sought to redefine the relationship between the United Kingdom and her colonies, helping to establish the British Commonwealth , as it was known at the time.
In 2004 he was named by voters in a poll held by the South African Broadcasting Corporation as one of the top ten Greatest South Africans of all time. The final positions of the top ten were to be decided by a second round of voting, but the programme was taken off the air due to political controversy, and Nelson Mandela was given the number one spot based on the first round of voting. In the first round, Jan Smuts came sixth
The cache is placed on a circular route at a well known picnic spot in Irene. The trading hours: Monday to Friday from 09:30 to 16:30; Sat/Sun & Public Holidays from 09:00 to 17:00
The route itself is not difficult and actually quite scenic. The route will take you a few meters from cache (GC3055) , a well known cache for placing trackables
The sunset and surroundings from this trail can be very spectacular:
- At the specified location (S25 53.331 E28 13.895) you will find a large black object with prominent numbers printed (R ABCDE) on it:
- Use theses numbers to determine the second waypoint WP2 = S25 (A-2)B.C(D+2)(E-1) E028 13.983
- At WP2 you will find a place of quiet. This place is dedicated to people searching in silence for something for all mankind (not peace)?
- Calculate the third waypoint using this word in the following manner:
- 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
- GZ=S25 53.(1st letter-6)(2nd letter+7)(3rd letter-9) E028 14.(4th letter-9)(5th letter-8)(6th letter-5)
- GZ is a little bit of the trail, please step carefully and try not to disturb or disrubt the surroundings too much
.The rules are really simple
- Whoever finds the cache first (FTF) should place the next cache in the series [The Curse of the FTF - Gauteng #6(xyz etc.)] within 1 month. Otherwise the curse will prevent you from ever getting another FTF again !(just joking)
- It is asked that you only be a FTF for this series once. This is to give others a chance to be the FTF.
- It can be any type of cache (Puzzle, Multi, etc.)
- When the next cache is placed e-mail the owners of all the preceding caches so a link can be added.
- The cache must be placed in Gauteng only.
- If you are the FTF in this series and do not wish to continue the series, PLEASE say so in your log entry. This will give the 2nd-TF, 3rd-TF, etc the option to continue the game.
NOTE to all who hunt FTF's in this series... Reviewers have been instructed by Groundspeak not to approve caches that have a requirement to place an additional cache or caches as a condition of logging the find. You can make a suggestion that the person do so, but it can't be required.
1st Curse in the series by WormGeocash
2nd Curse in the series by Elsies
3rd Curse in the series by Leon ST
4th Curse in the series by W@lly
5th Curse in the series by B and C Inc
6th Curse in the series by Madsons
7th Curse in the series by ECMJ
8th Curse in the series by Tartan Terror
9th Curse in the series by Cabey
10th Curse in the series by GEO936
11th Curse in the series by Wazat
Hall of fame