How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Barbados has a total of eleven parishes, of which St. Lucy is the northernmost and smallest in terms of population. St. Lucy is one of the six parishes created by Governor Sir William Tufton and is known for being the only parish of Barbados out of the eleven to be named after a female patron saint, Saint Lucy of Syracuse.
The first church was built in 1629 out of timber but was soon destroyed in a hurricane. The second Church was built in 1741 of sawn stone and was destroyed by the hurricane of 1780. The third Church was also destroyed by Great Hurricane in 1831, at this hurricane only four parish churches in Barbados survived. The present Church was built in 1837, and is essentially Georgian, with a tower which conforms to the characteristic of all the other Parish Churches rebuilt during this period. It has a gallery running continuously on the North, West and Southern sides. Its seating capacity is 750.
Saint Lucy is the birthplace of Barbados's first Prime Minister, Errol Barrow.
The church is located just of the Sir Theodore Brancker roundabout at the end of the main road going along the west coast. The place is an excellent stop on the way visiting the North Point. Take a peak inside the church, if open, and wander around the graveyard to get a glimpse of Barbados history.
The cache has been moved from its original location and is now outside the actual graveyard.
(No hints available.)