Subterranean Adventure (Thunder Underground)
In Virginia, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Located UNDERGROUND, near a very popular shopping area, this cache is designed for those seeking a unique cache that offers more of a physical and emotional challenge and adventure than the standard caches in this area provide. The cache is very easily found, but isn't quite as easy to get to.
FTF Credit is awarded to MrPoopypants06 and TheChild. Congratulations on your collective, first-ever FTF. You earned it!
This cache is located within an underground structure.
The coordinates for the cache are only for the entrance. Once inside, you'll need to follow the directions listed below to locate the cache.
This cache requires the use of some special equipment:
- flashlight (a good one with fresh batteries!) or strong light source
- gloves (to protect your hands from rough surfaces
- clothes that you don't mind getting dirty or wet
- using a "creeper" (like the kind used to slide around under a vehicle to change oil), could make your experience much easier.
- a small ladder or crate to stand on
This cache is NOT recommended as a solo adventure. Cachers are advised to take a friend along or notify someone where they are. Although this area isn't inherently dangerous, cachers should proceed with caution. Cell phone reception and GPS signals inside the structure are non-existent.
Cachers will experience cramped quarters inside the structure. This cache is not recommended for people with fear of the dark or cramped spaces.
Some elevation changes will be encountered inside the structure. Cachers need to ensure they are strong enough to lift themselves over any potential obstacles or be willing to assist others in doing so.
Do not attempt to locate this cache during heavy rains unless you want to get drenched. Some water is usually present, but poses no risk to cachers in fair weather.
At the time of posting this cache, there are no signs of transients or vagrants utilizing this facility. There are no signs of animals or dangerous insects inside the structure, but this doesn't mean that there will never be any. Proceed with caution.
Cache is in plain sight at the end of the journey.
To get to the cache, go to the listed coordinates and follow the directions below. There is only one way to navigate through the structure, so the directions below are provided just as a means to let you know when you'll arrive at ground zero:
1. Enter the structure and proceed into the first room, straight ahead.
2. From the first room, follow the passage on a heading of 180* for about 30' to reach the second room. The second room is characterized by a second, higher chamber, and another passage located higher off the ground. You must enter the elevated hoizontal passage to continue. BE CAREFUL!
3. From the second chamber, proceed on heading 140* for about 150' to reach the third chamber. Chamber three has an interesting piece of information about a gentleman named L. Spellman. It is not important for locating the cache, but is good to know.
4. From the third chamber, proceed on heading 214* for about 100' to reach the fourth chamber, where the cache is located.
Cache is a metal first-aid kit secured to the wall by a zip-tie and is in plain view.
You may choose to continue exploring the structure from this point, but there is no further need for caching purposes.
A blue chem-lite is provided in the cache for use by anyone who experiences a flashlight failure while in the structure. It is for emergency use only and is NOT to be removed except as required in an emergency.
Cache contains an unactivated geocoin as a FTF prize. I also left two other trackable items, a log-book, and writing utensils.
fgergpu jryy orsber ortvaavat.
Last Updated: on 7/16/2017 3:36:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time (10:36 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum