The Basic Idea:
A World Wide Flash Mob Caching Event
Saturday - June 4th, 2011 @ 1:00 pm
You're heard of MEGA-EVENTS? This is quite the opposite in a variety of ways.
- This is a Flash Mob Event.
- It will involve far less people.
- It will last for only 15 minutes.
- And the icon you get is different ( vs. ).
Flash Mobs (What is a flashmob?)
have gathered for other reasons, but this one is all about geocaching.
The World Wide Flash Mob Event:
Dozens, if not hundreds, of events all around the world, coordinated to happen at the same time to bring together geocachers and introduce others (newbies) to the geocaching. Saturday, June 4th, 2011
will be the day hundreds, if not thousands, of geocachers will mob together, around the world.
flash mob event is one of many taking place around the world as part of the World Wide Flash Mob VIII. Come take part in this zany, 15 minute, geocaching event.
Stay tuned for further details regarding the schedule.
- The event will begin precisely at 1:00 pm on Saturday June 4th, 2010.
- The start of the Event will be marked by the announcement of "Magic Eight Ball, I Have A Question" and the opening of the "special container".
- The event will be held at the posted coordinates.
- This event is Rain or Shine - it is Michigan Afterall, so there really is no chance of predicting the weather more than 5 minutes ahead of time. There is some overhead shelter available if inclement weather does occur.
- Time will be kept by GPSr - Everyone's should be in sync from the satellites. An event card must be signed for this event to be logged online!
- There is talk of a special WWFM Souvenir for those who log "attended" for this event.
- There will be a group photo taken to preserve this event in time just prior to the end of the event.
- The event officially ends at 1:15 PM on the dot.
- At precisely 1:15 the event cards will be packed up and sealed away. The event area will be vacated without a trace!!!
- Geocachers are free to do what they want. There are plenty of caches nearby so go and enjoy the rest of the day
Wear a BLACK
shirt/coat to the event.
Prizes: (Subject to change - stay tuned for details)
Some fun June 4th facts:
- Ready to hide geocache
- FTF ( the coordinates) for the new "WWFM OCHO Commemorative" cache to be published after the event.
- Event Geocoin
- Everyone's favorite - PATHTAGS!
- and last but not least......The Magic Eight Ball
- In 781 BC – The first historic solar eclipse is recorded in China
- In 1912 – Massachusetts becomes the first state of the United States to set a minimum wage.
- In 1944 – World War II: Rome falls to the Allies, the first Axis capital to fall.
- In 1973 – A patent for the ATM is granted to Donald Wetzel, Tom Barnes and George Chastain.
- In 1975 – Angelina Jolie, American actress, was born
- For more June 4th facts click here.
Note: Although participants are welcome to get together after the event, the event portion will be officially over at 1:15 PM.
Are you interested in a WWFM VIII geocoin? CLICK HERE for more details