Come and join us for a Meet-and-Greet, followed by a medium hike into the Superior National Forest and the BWCAW for some Earthcaching.
The hike that follows the Meet-and-Greet is encouraged but not required.
Where: Superior National Forest, trailhead to Magentic Lake N 48° 05.518 W 090° 49.518.
When: Saturday May 28th, 2011, NOON (Memorial Day Weekend)
Who: Any geocachers, hikers, hiking geocachers, families, friends, ALL are welcome!
General Event Info:
- We welcome everyone to join us.
- There are numerous campgrounds in the surrounding area. I ALREADY have my campsite reserved at Tetteguche State Park for the weekend.
- Bring your own picnic lunch and drinks. Whatever you bring, you carry it in and then you carry out ALL leftovers and trash. Garbage collection is NOT provided.
- I've tapped the incredible adventures of those before us (Boreal Walker) in order to make this adventure safe and fun.
- Admission and parking is FREE!
- Following the Meet-and-Greet, everyone is encouraged to join my group to hike to Magnetic Rock (GC2EW2H).
- Come prepared for "changing" weather. This IS Minnesota, ya know.
- Unless there is electrical activity in the sky or a freak blizzard blows in, this event WILL take place RAIN-OR-SHINE. Plan accordingly.
Schedule: (this schedule will evolve somewhat as we confirm details)
- NOON: Meet-and-Greet at the posted coordinates, Magnetic Lake Trail Head. MapSource estimates the drive from Grand Marais to the trail head as 46.7 miles, 1 hour 19 minutes driving like granny. PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
- 12:30 PM: Raffle for a door prize. You must be present to win.
- 1:00 PM: Event complete. Depart for Magnetic Rock. Distance of hike is 1.2 miles each direction. Estimated time of hike is about 30 minutes each direction, moving at a snail's pace.
- 1:00 PM on: Hike and geocache at your own pace. A group photograph at Magnetic Rock would be nice.
If you are planning on joining us, log a "will attend" on this page, with how many will be coming. Put this cache on your watch list so you will be informed of all the updates.
While it is unclear to me if we'll actually cross into the BWCAW, if that's the case, we'll use the Day Use Permit process.
Any questions or suggestions? Send me a private message through geocaching.com with your input.
SEE YOU THERE!!