Skip to Content

<

[ECL 2011] La mine de Richard Coeur de Lion

A cache by ATMO Studio Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 06/23/2011
Difficulty:
1.5 out of 5
Terrain:
1.5 out of 5

Size: Size: other (other)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


The legend of the mine of Richard 1st of England

In the days of Richard I of England, the beach of Bourgenay housed a graphite silver mine. King used it to beat the currency nearby in a place that still bears today the name "Salle Roy," on the road to Cayola. The mine was destroyed by the Protestants under the reform.

History of the mine "des Sarts"

Interest in the geology of the region actually began in 1775 with the discovery of galena silver at a place called the Sarts by Veillon of Boismartin. Located on the coast at 7 km west of Talmont Saint Hilaire, the deposit is located at the base of the Jurassic is here, as in many other places, silicified and mineralized with barite and sulfides (pyrite, chalcopyrite and galena). The exploitation of the deposit began in 1779 at the initiative of Robert Granville "who made this mine and who has obtained sufficient powers of the Ministry's behalf, without thinking of the one he had this obligation discovery ". In other words, Robert Granville stole the discovery of Boismartin Veillon, an adviser to the Admiralty of Poitou "whose disinterestedness is known." Although galena extracted comportât "quality of money that exceeds the production of all known mines in Europe [sic], on the evidence to the cup, which was made by MM. Wise & others of the Academy of sciences ", the operation was fairly disastrous.

In December 1784, a famous king's commissioner to visit the mines, the Baron de Dietrich, visited the Sarts, which he describes in great detail the work, including three wells (wells Blumenstein, the Forge and St. Martin) and several galleries. The mine and smelter employed fifty workers, headed by a director, a controller, a mining engineer and a master miner. The operation was difficult, says Dietrich, because "there was every three strong tidal waterways and that workers who found themselves at the head dry work, had water till over belt on the side of the wells-which they were forced to withdraw in haste. vuidoit these waters is a machine wheels, driven by horses, but it was necessary although it could reach the dry work in the high seas. ""The air is so bad, that the Directors & master-workers have been overwhelmed by the obstinate ague, and that several have died in succession." Dietrich took a sample of ore, including "eight ounces, or sixty-four large," he writes, "taken at random from the sheet, only gave me ten big lead: ten big tenoient six silver grains ", which amounts to 156 kg of lead and 1302 grams of silver per ton of minerai4. "It changes many ideas that it was formed," he says.

Dietrich made several recommendations for further work, but mine, unproductive, had to be abandoned after several years of operation. In the year III, "the principal owner of a mine was named thereof Savy of Paris was on the list of emigres." The same company had opened nearly Olonne-sur-Mer another mine, allegedly of coal, which likely was operating as black shales and graphitic schists of the Lower Paleozoic. Its leaders had praised the widow of Mairaud Garnaudière two rooms "to contain it in one & ustancilles tools specific to the mine, and the other for housing," but they started failing to pay the rent and , in Floreal year III, they had to liquidate their assets to recover part of the claim. As for Dietrich, became mayor of Strasbourg, where he encouraged Rouget to compose a famous hymn, he had the misfortune to compromise with the Girondins, and was guillotined December 28, 1793.

In the nineteenth century, Jean-Alexandre CAVOLEAU [Year XII, 1818], Auguste RIVER [1834] and Bouchet [1856] visited the ruins of the mine, where they give some interesting details. In the mid-nineteenth century, a man named Motheau attempts to reopen it. On December 17, 1854, he filed a license application to the prefecture of the Vendee, but after several reports of the administrations of Mines and Fields, the prefect shall grant permission only to conduct research. A family Louineau opposed to the work while claiming to be owner of the land, which is however located between the coastal path and the edge of the cliff. Domains in principle owners are défaussent and leave the matter be resolved between the complainant and Motheau, which eventually abandoned the search. In 1860, the administration is closing the wells 15 meters deep and only covered a hangar ruined. This mine, there remains today only ruins of the foundry of the eighteenth century, half buried under the dune, the well site by Motheau dark, hidden by vegetation, especially the entrance of a gallery , clearly visible at the top of the foreshore.

Archaeologists were interested in this mine, but their conclusions were hardly happy. According to Benjamin Fillon, the operation of money could go back to Richard the Lion-Heart, who attended the castle of Talmont in his youth. This hypothesis is confirmed, he said, the remains of a mint inadvertently (or conveniently) disappeared beneath the dune.

The deposit of Sarts is not unique. The sulphide mineralization, barite and fluorite are indeed very widespread at the base of the Jurassic in the region. DIETRICH [1786] reports that "martial pyrites [= iron] prevalent in clay, near Bourgonney, who had been taken to the copper mine, the company had determined to do some research."

The Galena silver

Galena is a mineral species consisting of lead sulfide PbS formula with trace Ag, Bi, Se, Te, Cu, Zn, Cd, Fe, As, Sb, Mo, Au. This earned him a cohort of varieties.

Galena was used as a lead ore from ancient times (at least - 3000 BC.) And as a black dye (carbonate, which gives the lead, is a very white hand of a covering) . ?galena is the only lead sulphide of economic importance. It is a mineral that melts easily, giving a globule of yellow litharge (lead monoxide). It does not dissolve as hot hydrochloric acid causing a release of hydrogen sulfide. It is the main source of lead is extracted by roasting to remove sulfur and then by calcination in order to separate the oxygen resulting from the previous operation and finally a thermal or electrolytic refining. All these operations will also retrieve the precious metals in the waste of galena

Geology Cove Sarts

In the northwest corner of the Cove Mine, a fault northwest 20 to look north-east brings together the foundation of the basal Toarcian to Rhynchonella Amaltheia and gneissic basement. The rejection of this accident is about 25 meters is the largest discrepancy noted between the Sables d'Olonne and Saint-Vincent-sur-Jard (the other holes have indeed releases generally below 10 meters).

Very close to the fault, the lower benches of the Toarcian almost completely hidden by the sand dunes are based on the Domerian calcareo marly Pseudopecten aequivalis to himself more or less covered by the rollers today. With distance to the southeast, we find the Pliensbachian silicified whose base has the distinction of containing past nearby arkosic gneisses whose influence on sedimentation has made so much sense at the beginning of Pliensbachian. The general dip in the North West of the loop of the mine (the Sarts) is North East, going towards the south east, so there is a gradual increase of the layers of Lias become quickly and completely silicified. From the moment the silicified cliff develops, the concavity of the coast is much less pronounced. At the mouth of the old mine shaft (which you will find) is that the cut from top to bottom:

Domerian silicified to Pseudopecten aequivalvis; Carixian very small, silicified, but which contains ferruginous oolites and numerous fossil ammonites, belemnites, bivalves, and the silicified sinémuro-Hettangian ends at the top level of a nearly continuous sedimentary breccia, but the thickness does not exceed 50 cm. below come from jasperoids black oolitic texture with a fair number of bivalves sections. At the top of the Lower Lias in the last meter, sphalerite is relatively common, but barite and quartz pyramids represent the majority of the mineralization.

On the foreshore is the Lower Lias silicified outcrops that most often between the cliff and another fault to look north east, whose direction is South Armorican. To the south is, this accident is similar to increasing the cliff and reach, while putting together the miccaschiste and Sinémuro-Hettangian. It beyond the old mine, draws on a cliff anticlinal bulge very clear that the arrow is over 20 meters. There, while the Lower Lias consists of two bars incompletely silicified, thickness approximately equal to half of the cove southeast of the mine. The Pliensbachian has disappeared and is represented on the northern flank of the anticline. Green discontinuous basal clays and apparently reduced north of the cove are developing new south where they cover the mica in the cliffs.


EarthCache

Today the mine entrance is still visible. to validate this cache, you must find the entrance to the mine and measure width and height (in cm). Looking at the ground in around the entrance you will find many rocks starting trace metals (there is more silver!). Give color of the rocks hosting the metals, and their general direction. You must then send the answers via my profile to get authorization for validation of this earth cache.


La légende de la mine de Richard Coeur de lion

Du temps de Richard Coeur de Lion, la plage de Bourgenay abritait une mine de plomb argentifère. Le roi l'utilisait pour battre la monnaie non loin de là dans un lieu qui porte toujours aujourd'hui le nom de "Salle Roy", sur la route de Cayola. La mine a été détruite par les protestants sous la réforme.

L'histoire de la mine des Sarts

L'intérêt pour la géologie de la région ne débuta réellement qu'avec la découverte en 1775 de galène argentifère au lieu-dit les Sarts, par Veillon de Boismartin. Situé sur la côte à 7 km à l'ouest de Talmont-Saint-Hilaire, le gisement est localisé à la base du Jurassique qui est ici, comme en bien d'autres endroits, silicifiée et minéralisée en barytine et sulfures (pyrite, chalcopyrite et galène). L'exploitation du gisement débute en 1779, à l'initiative de Robert de Granville "qui a fait exploiter cette mine & qui a obtenu du Ministère les pouvoirs suffisants en son nom, sans songer à celui auquel il avoit obligation de cette décou- verte". Autrement dit, Robert de Granville a volé la découverte à Veillon de Boismartin, un conseiller à l'Amirauté du Poitou "dont le désintéressement est connu". Quoique la galène extraite comportât "une qualité d'argent qui surpasse la production de toutes les mines connues en Europe [sic], suivant la preuve, à la coupelle, qui en a été faite par MM. Sages & autres de l'Académie des Sciences", l'exploitation en fut assez calamiteuse.

En décembre 1784, un célèbre commissaire du roi à la visite des mines, le Baron de Dietrich, visita les Sarts, dont il décrit avec beaucoup de détails les travaux, comprenant trois puits (puits Blumenstein, de la Forge et Saint-Martin) et plusieurs galeries. La mine et la fonderie employaient une cinquantaine d'ouvriers, dirigés par un directeur, un contrôleur, un ingénieur des mines et un maître mineur. L'exploitation était difficile, rapporte Dietrich, parce qu'"il y avoit à chaque marée trois fortes voies d'eau & que les ouvriers, qui se trouvoient à sec à la tête des travaux, avoient de l'eau jusques par-dessus la ceinture du côté du puits par lequel ils étoient obligés de se retirer à la hâte. On vuidoit ces eaux par une machine à molettes, mue par des chevaux ; mais il s'en falloit bien qu'on pût parvenir à dessécher les travaux durant la haute mer". "L'air y est si mauvais, que les directeurs & maîtres-ouvriers y ont été accablés par des fièvres quartes obstinées, & que plusieurs y ont successivement péri". Dietrich préleva un échantillon de minerai, dont "huit onces ou soixante-quatre gros", écrit-il, "pris au hasard dans la bache, ne m'ont donné que dix gros de plomb : ces dix gros tenoient six grains d'argent", ce qui revient à 156 kg de plomb et 1302 g d'argent pour une tonne de minerai. "Cela change bien les idées qu'on s'en étoit formées", conclut-il.

Dietrich fit quelques recommandations sur la poursuite des travaux, mais la mine, peu productive, dut être abandonnée après quelques années d'exploitation. En l'an III, "le principal propriétaire d'icelle mine était un nommé Savy de Paris qui figurait sur la liste des émigrés". La même compagnie avait ouvert près d'Olonne-sur-Mer une autre mine, prétendument de charbon de terre, qui n'exploitait vraisemblablement que des ampélites et schistes graphiteux du Paléozoïque inférieur. Ses dirigeants avaient loué à la veuve Mairaud de la Garnaudière deux chambres "pour y renfermer dans l'une les outils & ustancilles propres à exploiter la mine, & l'autre pour leur logement", mais ils partirent en omettant de payer le loyer et, en floréal de l'an III, on dut liquider leurs biens pour recouvrer une partie de la créance. Quant à Dietrich, devenu maire de Strasbourg où il incita Rouget de l'Isle à composer un hymne fameux, il eut le malheur de se compromettre avec les Girondins et fut guillotiné le 28 décembre 1793.

Au XIXe siècle, Jean-Alexandre CAVOLEAU [an XII, 1818], Auguste RIVIÈRE [1834] puis BOUCHET [1856] visitèrent les vestiges de cette mine, sur laquelle ils donnent d'intéressants détails. Au milieu du XIXe siècle, un dénommé Motheau tente de la réouvrir. Le 17 décembre 1854, il dépose une demande de concession auprès de la préfecture de la Vendée, mais, après plusieurs rapports des administrations des Mines et des Domaines, le préfet lui octroie seulement la permission de mener des recherches. Une famille Louineau s'oppose alors aux travaux, prétendant être propriétaire du terrain, lequel est pourtant situé entre le chemin des douaniers et le bord de la falaise. Les Domaines, en principe propriétaires, se défaussent et laissent le litige se régler entre les plaignants et Motheau, qui finit par abandonner les recherches. En 1860, l'administration fait clore le puits, profond de 15 mètres et seulement couvert d'un hangar ruiné. De cette mine, il ne reste aujourd'hui que des ruines de la fonderie du XVIIIe siècle, à demi enfouies sous la dune, l'emplacement du puits foncé par Motheau, masqué par la végétation, et surtout l'entrée d'une galerie, bien visible en haut de l'estran.

Des archéologues se sont intéressés à cette mine, mais leurs conclusions ne furent guère heureuses. Selon Benjamin Fillon, l'exploitation d'argent pouvait remonter à Richard Cœur-de- Lion, qui fréquenta le château de Talmont dans sa jeunesse. Cette hypothèse serait attestée, selon lui, par les restes d'un atelier monétaire malencontreusement (ou opportunément) disparu sous la dune.

Le gisement des Sarts n'est pas unique. Les minéralisations en sulfures, barytine et fluorine sont en effet très répandues à la base des terrains jurassiques de la région. DIETRICH [1786] nous rapporte que "des pyrites martiales [= de fer] répandues dans de la glaise, du côté de Bourgonney, qui avoient été prises pour de la mine de cuivre, avoient déterminé la compagnie à y faire quelques recherches".

La galène argentifère

La galène est une espèce minérale composée de sulfure de plomb de formule PbS avec des traces : Ag;Bi;Se;Te;Cu;Zn;Cd;Fe;As;Sb;Mo;Au. Ceci lui vaut une cohorte de variétés.

La galène fut utilisée comme minerai de plomb dès l'Antiquité (au moins - 3000 av. J.-C.) et en tant que teinture noire (le carbonate, qui donne la céruse, est un revanche d'un blanc très couvrant).?La galène est le seul sulfure de plomb d'importance économique. C'est un minéral qui fond facilement en donnant un globule jaune de litharge (monoxyde de plomb). Il ne se dissout qu'à chaud dans l'acide chlorhydrique provoquant un dégagement d'hydrogène sulfuré. Il est la source principale de plomb qui en est extrait par grillage afin d'en supprimer le soufre puis par calcination afin de le séparer de l'oxygène résultant de l'opération précédente et enfin un raffinage thermique ou par électrolyse. Toutes ces opérations permettent également de récupérer des métaux précieux dans les déchets de galène

Géologie de l'anse des Sarts

Dans l'angle Nord Ouest de l'Anse de la mine, une faille Nord-Ouest 20 à regard Nord-Est met en contact les assises basales du Toarcien à Rhynchonella amalthei et le socle gneissique. Le rejet de cet accident est de l'ordre de 25 mètres ; C'est le décalage le plus important noté entre les Sables d'Olonne et Saint-Vincent-sur-Jard (les autres failles ont en effet des rejets généralement inférieurs à 10 mètres).

A proximité immédiate de la faille, les bancs inférieurs du Toarcien presque complètement masqués par les sables dunaires reposent sur le Domérien calcaréo-marneux à Pseudopecten aequivalis, lui-même plus ou moins recouvert par les galets actuels. Lorsqu'on s'éloigne vers le Sud-Est, on trouve du Pliensbachien silicifié dont la base présente la particularité de renfermer des passées arkosiques à proximité immédiate des gneiss dont l'influence sur la sédimentation s'est donc faite nettement sentir au début du Pliensbachien. Le pendage général dans la partie Nord Ouest de l'anse de la mine (des Sarts) est Nord Est ; en allant vers le Sud Est, il y a donc un relèvement progressif des couches du Lias qui deviennent rapidement et complètement silicifiés. A partir du moment où le silicifié se développe en falaise, la concavité du rivage est beaucoup moins accentuée. Au débouché de l'ancienne galerie de mine (qui vous devrez trouver) la coupe est la suivante de haut en bas :

Domérien silicifié à Pseudopecten aequivalvis ; Carixien très réduit, silicifié, mais qui renferme des oolithes ferrugineuse et de très nombreux fossiles : ammonites, bélemnites, lamellibranches ; le sinémuro-hettangien silicifié se termine, au sommet, par un niveau de brèche sédimentaire presque continu, mais dont l'épaisseur ne dépasse pas 50 cm. au dessous viennent des jaspéroïdes noirs à texture oolithique présentant d'assez nombreuses sections de Laméllibranches. Au sommet du Lias inférieur, dans le dernier mètre, la blende est relativement fréquente, mais la barytine et les quartz pyramidés représentent l'essentiel de la minéralisation.

Sur l'estran c'est le Lias inférieur silicifié qui affleure le plus souvent entre la falaise et une autre faille à regard Nord Est, dont la direction est sud-armoricaine. Vers le sud est, cet accident se rapproche de plus en plus de la falaise et l'atteint, mettant alors en contact les miccaschiste et Sinémuro-Hettangien. Celui-ci au delà de l'ancienne mine, dessine en falaise un bombement anticlinal très net dont la flèche dépasse les 20 mètres. On note alors que le Lias inférieur se décompose en deux barres incomplétement silicifiées, d'épaisseurs à peu près égales dans la moitié Sud Est de l'anse de la mine. Le Pliensbachien a disparu et n'est donc représenté que sur le flanc Nord de l'anticlinal. Les argiles verte basales discontinues et apparemment réduites au nord de l'anse se développent de nouveau vers le sud où elles recouvrent les micaschistes en falaises.


EarthCache

De nos jours l'entrée de la mine est toujours visible. Pour valider cette cache, vous devez trouver l'entrée de la mine et en mesurer largeur et hauteur (en cm). En regardant le sol dans les alentours de l'entrée vous trouverez de nombreux rochers portant des traces de métaux (il n'y a plus d'argent !). Donnez la couleur de ces rochers abritant les métaux, et leur orientation générale. Vous devez alors m'envoyer les réponses via mon profil pour obtenir l'autorisation de validation de cette earth cache.


free counters

Additional Hints (No hints available.)



Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.