If you would like to one of the 48 trackable centennial geocoin, please fill out the registration form. The first 48 registered teams can purchase a coin. You must be present (before 10:00 on Sunday) to collect your coin. Coins are $10 each and limited to one coin per team -- to make it fair!
This is three-day (Friday through Sunday) camp-out event cache (rain or shine) in north-central Arizona. The event is to start the celebration of Arizona's centennial!
Even if you leave a note here, please also register for the event, on the EVENT REGISTRATION FORM.
Please bookmark this page and come back often to review changes and additions. Once you register, we will email you for changes or updates to this page or major changes in event details.
What: A Camp-Out Event for the purpose of getting to know fellow cachers and celebrate Arizona's Centennial.
There are over 480 existing caches within a 15 miles radius of the park. We will be placing several new caches for the event, including caches for the "48 Historic Caches Across Arizona"
When: This event cache will begin on Friday, September 16th and continue through Sunday, September 18th. If you can't stay for the whole three days, that's fine. If you just want to come by for a few hours, we'd love to have you.
Who: Anyone and everyone of all ages is welcome to attend, whether you are a seasoned veteran cacher, a newbie cacher or just someone who is interested in geocaching. This is a family friendly event and is being put on in conjunction with the Town of Chino Valley and the Yavapai County Centennial Committee.
Where: Basecamp is located at Memory Park in Chino Valley. Event caches will be hidden along 3 loops, each about a twenty-five minute drive from camp. We welcome cachers from anywhere, so no matter where you live, you're invited.
Why: To celebrate 100 Years of Statehood! (Please note that no organizations or businesses will make any money from this event. Any donations will go back into the costs of running the event.)
Cost: Free! If you would like to participate in the OPTIONAL catered dinner on Saturday night, that will be a per-person charge.
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR KIDS OR PETS AT CAMP and take off to hunt for caches unless you have arranged to have a designated responsible adult watch them. None of your hosts are qualified child-care providers.
- Official log and contest signup. The log will be available all afternoon, beginning at 1:00 PM. There will also be sign-up sheets for some of the various contests and events. Tickets will be distributed (one per team) at sign-up for the drawings. (You must be present to win.)
- Evening Meet & Greet. We're planning on having several geocaching games to play, all designed so you can get to know your fellow cachers!
- Quiet Time. Promptly at 10:00PM (until 6:00AM) all radios and TV's should have their volume reduced to a respectable level and any generators will be turned off. This is to allow those who wish to sleep to do so. Keep in mind that 'Quiet Time' does not mean 'Bed Time.' Everyone is welcome to stay up as long as they like and visit as long as the noise is kept to a respectable (and respectful) level.
- Official log and contest signup. The log will be available all day for any new arrivals. There will also be sign-up sheets for some of the various contests and events. Tickets will be distributed (one per team) at sign-up for the drawings. (You must be present to win.)
- Contestant Packets. We will distribute packets containing brief descriptions of the new (unlisted) caches that have been placed for the event on Saturday morning You can get that at registration and we will email them to you ahead of time if possible. We will give you the coordinates to the new caches on Saturday as well. NOTE: We will NOT be distributing lists of pre-existing caches in the area. It is up to you to bring that information.
- Geocaching Games and Fun Events - We don't have all the details yet, so please keep checking back. Please plan on bringing quality trade items for events.
- Impromptu Cache Hunts. This is the day to team up with old friends and new and go looking for some of the many caches hidden in the area.
- Poker Run. We will have a Poker Run in which contestants select cards at random from various caches. The team with the best poker hand wins a prize. Teams can begin drawing their cards on Friday but the deadline for entry is Saturday at 4:30PM. This will be a 50/50 poker run (winner will get 50% of the total pot) and ante will be $5.00 per player.
- New Caches. There will be a number new caches that will be hidden especially for the event. Event attendees will have a chance to hunt for these before they are posted on geocaching.com. All attendees present when we distribute the details of these new caches will have equal chances to log a First Find on them. There is just one ground rule; there can only be one First Finder for each cache. This means no "Co-FTF's!" The first individual or representative of an established team to sign the log book gets to claim it as a FTF.
- Most Caches Found. A prize will be awarded for the team who finds the most eligible caches throughout the weekend, from the time they sign in to the event until dinner-time on Saturday. Eligible caches include ONLY the NEW caches hidden for the event. The captain of each team must be present at all cache finds (no splitting up teams). The log book must be signed at each cache. The caches must be logged (after the event) on www.geocaching.com. Teams must be back at the camp site and have their paperwork turned in to the event coordinator by dinner-time on Saturday. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Prize Drawings. Drawings for prizes will begin after dinner on Saturday. You must be present to win and you must have your ticket stub. (Available when you sign into the event.)
- Dinner. An OPTIONAL catered dinner is available to all event attendees. You must pre-register and pre-pay for dinner. Tickets are non-refundable but they are transferable. You will not be able to pay for dinner at the event because numbers of diners need to be presented to the caterer no later than September 12, 2011.
The event in co-sponsored by the Town of Chino Valley because of this, it's not feasible from a staging area standpoint to have a potluck or cookout. Also, since the event is in the Town limits we'd need food handler licenses, health inspectors, etc. for a potluck or cookout. Again, dinner is OPTIONAL. You are welcome to bring your PB&J and hang out with us.
Quiet Time. Promptly at 10:00PM (until 6:00AM). Same rules as before. (See Quiet Time for Friday, above.)
- Last chance to sign the official event log!
- Clean Up time. As people pack up and get ready to leave, we ask that everyone take time to ensure that the entire area is free of trash and other 'unnatural' items. The park has been reserved until 1:00.
Throughout the Weekend:
Travel Bug Swap. Bring those TB's that have been gathering dust on your desktop next to your computer and trade them with other geocachers.
Goodies! We will be seeking the cooperation and sponsorship of local business to provide SWAG that you can take with you.
Purchasing State Centennial Commemorative Trackable Geocoins. To celebrate that Arizona is the 48th state to the Union, we will be selling 48 State Centennial Commemorative Trackable Geocoins.
- We are in a city park. There is space for tents and RVs. However, there are no picnic tables or fire rings at campsites. Please plan on cooking on a propane stove or BBQ. Or visiting one of the area's great restaurants!
- We are planning on providing LIMITED potable water. Please check back to verify that we were able to secure it.
- Restrooms will be provided but there are no shower facilities.
- There is no electricity.
- The picnic ramada is reserved for event coordinators.
- There are shade trees in the park.
- RV parking will be on asphalt. There is limited RV parking so please let us know the size of your rig!
- There are no waste dump facilities.
- Cell phone coverage in this area can be sporadic. Verizon gets the best coverage.
Return here often for more details to come.