You will make your way from the Moulton Falls parking lot to a overgrown clearing on the Bells Mountain Trail. On your way you need to collect various clues to solve the final location of the cache.
The coordinates is the last reference point, where you will calculate the final cache location.
You need to have a basic understanding of bearings (north = 0°, east = 90°, etc...) and you need to know how to read the bearings on your gps. For this cache, we are using true north (not magnetic)
You also need to know how to mark locations (waypoints) on your gps.
You shouldn't need to use any calculator for the calculations. No need for paper & pen either, but it sure would make it easier for you. You don't need to leave the trail until you are close to the cache. The off-trail vegetation around the cache has grown quite a bit in recent years, and some bushwhacking might be needed. .
The cache is an standard metal ammo box
1. Start at the Moulton Falls Park trail-head parking lot. It is the 2nd parking lot, coming from west, not the 1st one.
2. Find the locations of the Bridge and the Bells Mountain Trail trailhead, on the bulletin board at the parking lot.
3. Go to the Bridge and find out Edwards birth year. Note: The clue is at a safe location. Don't lean over the bridge, or do anything else that is unsafe!
4. Find the warning signs on the bridge, and count the number of words on one warning sign.
5. From the bridge, go to the Bells Mountain Trail trail head, and enter the trail
6. On your way up the trail, mark the ½ mile and 1 mile marker locations on your GPS, when you reach the markers. The mileage markers are hard to miss.
7. Continue up the Bells Mountain trail, past the recent clearing, to the provided geocache coordinates at a overgrown clearing. There are a couple old stumps at the location, close to the trail.
8. Solve xxxx: Take the bearing from the approximate location of the two stumps to the ½ mile marker, divide it by 2, and add the results to the year of Edward's birth.
The formula is (A/2) + B, where A = Bearing from the stumps to the ½ mile marker and B = Edwards birth year.
9. Solve yyyy: Take the bearing from the same spot to the 1 mile marker and multiply with number of words on one of the warning signs on the bridge.
The formula is A*B, where A = Number of words on one of the warning signs on the bridge and B = Bearing from the stumps to the 1 mile marker
10. Insert the 3 first digits of the xxxx and yyyy numbers into the coordinates below for the cache location (leave out the 4th digit). (The coordinates are in USG84 Degrees and decimal minutes).
N45° 49._ _ _' W122° 23._ _ _'
x x x y y y